New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother had to go to Mazda dealer to pick up some parts he ordered for his Protege 5. So while he was in there, I went to check out the new Mazda3 and decided to take it for a spin. The dealer took a photo copy of my driver license and handed me the keys and said to "knock myself out". So I did!

I drove a 2.3 hactchback 5 speed which has sports package and 17" rims. The first impression is that this is one SOLID car - doors closed with a big thump not a tinny whack like a Civic. Very much like Mazda6 and my Audi. I guess Volvo and Ford's development work paid off because this is not your typical tin can Japanese compact. The inteior is also A+. Rich leather and soft plastic is very Audi-esque and definitely much higher quality stuff than any Honda or Toyota I've been in.

The 2.3 is very strong for this car and I have no problem tossing it around either. The car handles like it was glued on the pavement - very impressive for a Japanese car, almost approaching the stable feeling I had driving the Mini Cooper but with more power!

I like the looks as well. It is different, and has character. But mostly it is very refreshing and has very little Japanese tidiousness (some might say bland or Toyota-likeness) to it.

Huge thumbs up :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Saw and sat in one this past weekend at the DC Auto Show ... very nicely built. However, I need more room than the 3 allows, so I will be looking at the 6 along with others (Caddy CTS-V). If my needs where different, I would definitely add the 3 to my list!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
not to bad....... FOR A WAGON!!!!!:rofl: i'd still go for the 6, i just like the overall appearance better.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My dad was in the market for a new small car, and I did what I could to get him to drive one of these, but he wouldn't. He refuses to buy an import (yes, I know Mazda is owned by Ford)... I think he woulda driven one, but the closest Mazda dealer is 65 miles away.

He ended up buying a Focus Wagon :( I think he missed out... The Mazda3 looks great.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Trevor- I thought I'd snapped a few of the 3 at the show... Turns out I only have 1 pic of the 6... So, in apology, please accept this picture of a Murcielago:

:hitit:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
:biggrin::rofl:

·
Registered
41 Posts
On 2/13/04 I read a story on yahoo news and watched it on several news reports on TV.
U.S. Trade Deficit Hit Record High in '03, Half A trillion Dollars... around $540 Billion
And the war isnt helping at all.

As of December 2003, China was ranked #1 in it's trade with the us, giving us a 123 Billion Deficit
and JAPAN was ranked #2 with $65 Billion. Canada #3 with 54 Billion.

This isnt about quality, come on, is China known for making quality products?
this is about the survival of our nations economy, and for us to keep our JOBS.

Buy American, Tell your friends and Family to buy American, Support your nation. Screw JDM

-Eric

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
^^^Screw JDM....well my girlfriend is asian, so I guess im half-way there?
By the way im getting the Mazda 3-hatchback when I pay off the coug. I had thoughts of a used Pr-5 or Tacoma, but the 3 stands out on all levels. Tight lil ride.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Originally posted by: Intense1
On 2/13/04 I read a story on yahoo news and watched it on several news reports on TV.
U.S. Trade Deficit Hit Record High in '03, Half A trillion Dollars... around $540 Billion
And the war isnt helping at all.

As of December 2003, China was ranked #1 in it's trade with the us, giving us a 123 Billion Deficit
and JAPAN was ranked #2 with $65 Billion. Canada #3 with 54 Billion.

This isnt about quality, come on, is China known for making quality products?
this is about the survival of our nations economy, and for us to keep our JOBS.

Buy American, Tell your friends and Family to buy American, Support your nation. Screw JDM

-Eric

I.E. buy the 6.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I personally like the wagon 3 also :thumbsup: A great car (with the extras, nav system, etc) for the price

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think it looks good. I wonder though, does the trade deficit thing take into account things that are from like say Mazda, which is owned by ford. So technically some of the money finds it's way back to America.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts