New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get a targa top for a cougar????????

·
Registered
904 Posts
No
There are no specific kits or How-To's.

Here is an old thread from last year which has some "chops" done to see how it will look.
Targa Top Couga

The last few threads describe why this hasn't been done yet.
It destroys the structural integrity of the coug.

It can be done though, and you would have to weld in a roll cage and support braces.

A few people on the boards have been talking about it......I guess we will all see if it is possible at CougarFest '04.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reason for this post is i saw a profile that said
targa top(comin january 21)

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
i think i know who you're talking about, but i don't see it in his profile anymore. It'll destroy the structural integrity of the car. Once that roof gets cut the whole car will want the flex from the middle and before you know it you'll have a giant taco.

G

·
I've actually been doing a little thinking about a targa top, and I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you put a roll cage in and supported it to the actual chassis of the car.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
ignernt such a good name for you... and you know it is possible... weather you can afford it or not isn't the question here it is possible...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
you better do more than just ad a cage. You better add some sort or FRAME to the car, not just these little u-channel pieces of sheetmetal that Ford calls a "frame". The cage would have to be massive and have tons of bracing to actually add the rigidity to the car that would be removed when axing the top. If money is of no object to you, I say do something totally out of the ordinary, like a custom body kit or smoething of that nature instead of trying to look like every Supra out there. Just my .02

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
sure... it can be done... hell, take a chainsaw and do it... its free.

OOOOOH you probably mean "can it be done and the car still be usable..."
well... yeah, with enough money...
As mr.Brian said - you would have to do some MAJOR reconstructive surgery to the car, cause you are basically taking any stuctural integrity, and throwing it out the window - you'd have to compensate somehow.

this is a dream mod for me - but i have a feeling it will STAY a dream, seeing as its probably easier to just BUY a supra with the top than to mod the cougar to have one :tongue:

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Originally posted by: Jorgen
ignernt such a good name for you... and you know it is possible... weather you can afford it or not isn't the question here it is possible...
Yeah... ignernt is a good name for me, when you actually know what "ignernt" means. Here, look it up.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I'd love to see it...but one of those mods that people see in dreams :rofl:

G

·
yea it was me that said that targa top was coming january 21 but now its not i was talking to krazy kustoms about getting it done cause they are making me a blitz kit and doing my custom body work but then they said it would be to hard and time comsuming so i said screw it and now im going to stick with my sunroof

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I don't know about a targa....but a t-top has been done (to an extent) I'm still considering it on my car. We cut the roof off a wrecked coug and made "H" brackets in the roof and welded them in. you could jump on this sucked and it didn't warp. it was covered by the headliner. but we lost 2 3/4'' of headroom. Remember, this was done without supporting the windsheild. The only thing we found was getting it not to leak after it was twisted a few times. But the nice thing is, with a T top, your not as likely to loose too much integrity as long as you keep the pieces in most of the time when driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts