New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help guys. My girlfriend and I were on our way to go eat the other night. The route to the restaurant is on some back roads. I was doing some spirited driving. It was pretty curvy with lots of up and down shifts. The car was running great when all of the sudden her check engine light started flashing. It flashed for about 60 seconds and then went back to a solid light. It has been on before that for a few months. I took it to Autozone the other day and it was a bad o2 sensor.

Anyways, right after that, I slowed down and noticed a barely audible noise that could be heard while not under load. It sounded like a small exhaust leak. We had dinner and on our way home it started to get worse. Still thinking it was an exhaust leak and that somehow, I caused a exhaust gasket to fail and it was just getting worse and worse.

So for a couple of days we have been dealing with it. When the engine is dead cold, the sound really isn't present, but once she warms up it started to get really loud. We were at the gas station yesterday and I went to look at where the noise was coming from as it had gotten much louder and seemed to be coming from the top of the engine.

Bad news...it doesn't seem like an exhaust leak now. The noise is coming from the passenger side at the top of the engine, very close to the pulleys. It seems to be coming from the rear set of heads rather than the front. I did notice that the big pulley in the middle up top seems to wobble way more than it should. I can actually move it with my hand.

So I been doing some searching on this forum and there seems to be a large population that has lifter noise problems. Not sure if this is the case of if the timing has jumped on the chain and I am banging valves. The car seems to be running fine other than the noise. The power seems smooth and linear. FYI, it is a 2002 with the 2.5L V6.

I have attached a sound file that I took this afternoon.

thanks for all the help in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
I need some help guys. My girlfriend and I were on our way to go eat the other night. The route to the restaurant is on some back roads. I was doing some spirited driving. It was pretty curvy with lots of up and down shifts. The car was running great when all of the sudden her check engine light started flashing. It flashed for about 60 seconds and then went back to a solid light. It has been on before that for a few months. I took it to Autozone the other day and it was a bad o2 sensor.

Anyways, right after that, I slowed down and noticed a barely audible noise that could be heard while not under load. It sounded like a small exhaust leak. We had dinner and on our way home it started to get worse. Still thinking it was an exhaust leak and that somehow, I caused a exhaust gasket to fail and it was just getting worse and worse.

So for a couple of days we have been dealing with it. When the engine is dead cold, the sound really isn't present, but once she warms up it started to get really loud. We were at the gas station yesterday and I went to look at where the noise was coming from as it had gotten much louder and seemed to be coming from the top of the engine.

Bad news...it doesn't seem like an exhaust leak now. The noise is coming from the passenger side at the top of the engine, very close to the pulleys. It seems to be coming from the rear set of heads rather than the front. I did notice that the big pulley in the middle up top seems to wobble way more than it should. I can actually move it with my hand.

So I been doing some searching on this forum and there seems to be a large population that has lifter noise problems. Not sure if this is the case of if the timing has jumped on the chain and I am banging valves. The car seems to be running fine other than the noise. The power seems smooth and linear. FYI, it is a 2002 with the 2.5L V6.

I have attached a sound file that I took this afternoon.

thanks for all the help in advance.

Check the oil...other than that I have advice mine sounded like that and then not even a week later progressed to this...

YouTube - Dead engine

My Jeep will start ticking when the oil is low...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh man, that sounds just like the motor i just took out ...

Rod bearing was shot. :banghead:

I just put in a new motor, which was cheaper than repairing the old one.

Sorry dude.

Search the forum and you will find the posts regarding "rod knock" and you'll read the same kind of problems ... long hard cornering, a slight ticking right away and then a full blown knock. But again, search the forum for discussions on the issue...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts