New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tapped into my trunk light to add neon tubing, my question is if I measured the voltage in the trunk wire as 12.72 volts then can I buy a 12v neon tubing accessory without blowing the **** out of my fuse or relay switch?????????

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if the car is running the fuse won't blow? If the interior lights fuse
(same as trunk light) is 7.5 amps can I buy a fuse that has an amp rating of like 10 or 15 to prevent fuse shortages????

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You can't up the fuse without running new wire. The fuse is there to protect the wire from excessive current. If you go and change that fuse to one larger you run the risk of burning out your wire before you burn your fuse.

You might be ok connecting your neons, etc, to the interior lights. But I would not up the size of the fuse. If you blow the fuse, then connect them up somewhere else. Or you might be best off running new wire with a fuse inline. If you run your own line ALWAYS HAVE AN APPROPRIATE SIZED FUSE!

Also, if your talking 12v lighting from a PC, then it will work. But it's life may be a little more limited since it was never designed to see 14.4v.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You'll be fine. Just use decent sized wire, don't have broken or frayed wire which will obviously start a fire. Those lights don't draw much current.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You'll be fine. Just use decent sized wire, don't have broken or frayed wire which will obviously start a fire. Those lights don't draw much current.
Let the barbecue begin! They have a 7.5A fuse, I wonder why that could be? :confused: The interior lighting fuse is already close to the 7.5A IIRC.

·
8,512 Posts
Let the barbecue begin! They have a 7.5A fuse, I wonder why that could be? :confused: The interior lighting fuse is already close to the 7.5A IIRC.
Maybe, but I had a neon hooked to my hatch light for a few days and didn't have a problem. That was just one short neon tube, though.

I don't normally do neon - I'd just bought a sub and box off someone, and it came with the neon, so I hooked it to that light just for fun during CougarFest that year.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I might have been mistaken then. But either way, the 7.5A fuse is there because the wiring can only handle a little bit more than that. It is the weakest point for a reason. Ford is not into giving things away for free, the smallest gauge they can put in there the more money they save. It will definitely NOT handle twice the current though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one more question....to ensure current safety could I ground the neon tubing???
and how would I do this???

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
one more question....to ensure current safety could I ground the neon tubing???
and how would I do this???
Well, when you wire it up, you will have a positive going to the inverter, and a negative coming out. The negative just goes right to ground, wherever you want it to be. You can use the ground from the light, or ground to the body at a convenient location. Just make sure it is a good ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts