New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up early enough to see the switchover from tapes to cds in the stores. I remember having to search before the internet and have to literally sing or hum songs to the worker so they know what you're looking for too. Let me tell you how difficult it was to actually find RAM JAM's Black Betty before the internet! Once I did I was so pumped to have it on tape for the hockey locker room. Now it's "bruins hype song" and bam it's right there on youtoube. sigh...
But here's my collection of tapes I'm starting to gather again, some I had when I was a kid, some are just the classics.
Going rate for a cassette at the flea market is about a buck or two a piece, but I did have to shell out $12 over ebay to get Fleetwood Mac Rumours.

·
Administrator
15,554 Posts
Nice! I see a few in that list that I still have as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all the youngins are wondering who the hell the Fat Boys are LOL

·
5,311 Posts
I dumped all of my cassettes when moving in 2016, but I took pics of all the tape drawers so that someday I could replace them... though replacing the curated Best Of Led Zeppelin will be difficult without the track list.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Wow. I suppose it was inevitable, but I really did not expect tapes to come back in any way. I did visit a used music store that had a huge wall of them in Dayton a few years ago but I figured it was more of a novelty than anything else.
Mine got stolen on two occasions, once around '92ish, then again around '96 or so. After that second time, I didn't bother to rebuild again.

·
Super Moderator
22,302 Posts
Ive listened to a lot of my tapes enough that the sound is going away. Im not sure why you would want to release stuff thats going to do that any longer. I get vinyl, it will degrade over usage as well, but it can sit for 50 years and be fine. Do that with a tape and its gone

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Except for the tape degredation, the durability of tapes was pretty great. Those things could bounce around under the seats for months with no ill-effects. CD's were kind of a bummer by comparison in that regard.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,778 Posts
Dang it, now I'm looking for batteries for my Walkman...

Reactions: mmc757

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
... though replacing the curated Best Of Led Zeppelin will be difficult without the track list.
There was something really magical about the perfect mix-tape or best-of collection that just can't be replicated by a digital playlist.
I suppose it was the effort that went into it and the resulting pride of creation.

·
Administrator
15,554 Posts
I bought a Technics rack stereo setup for my garage complete with tuner, amplifier, EQ, dual cassette deck, 5 disc changer, and turntable for $50 awhile back. The speakers were junk but the rest is like new. Most people just want to get rid of them these days.

·
5,311 Posts
There was something really magical about the perfect mix-tape or best-of collection that just can't be replicated by a digital playlist.
I suppose it was the effort that went into it and the resulting pride of creation.
Yep!

In college, had an audiophile suite-mate with eclectic taste and a large collection of LPs. I took them home over winter break for safety, as he couldn't take them on a plane, and didn't trust them in the dorm. I expanded my tape collection over that break, and my taste in music.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts