New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, your CEL comes on, so your car is running in "limp mode". I hear this term thrown about a lot, and I know what it insinuates, but really, I've never heard the specifics. What does your car do differently in "limp mode" than it ordinarily does? Can anyone specify?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
That seems odd, because my CEL has been on quite a bit lately, and the car still hauls.... Maybe it's only powertrain codes or something that cause it.

Massiv.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My car was popping CEL's off and on right before I went in for my emissions. The day of my test it went off and never came back on. . . And ran fine when it was on. Who knows

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
so you're telling me if my CEL was on due to the gas cap being on incorrectly, my car would be in this mode?

Mike

·
Administrator
11,561 Posts
It would need to be a problem that, if left unchecked, would cause severe damage to the engine. It's basicly saying "I'm going to let you drive me just enough to get to someplace safe or a dealership." Say you have symptoms of timing issues or severe knocking or pinging. The engine may go into this limp mode because it could still be driven, but not to it's full extent.

Of course, this is only if the symptoms are occuring and not flat out break unexpectedly.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I go in limp mode all the time after I've been drinking whiskey! :cover:

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: PGCougar
I go in limp mode all the time after I've been drinking whiskey! :cover:
but that's a good limp mode :biggrin:

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts