New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get inside my vents in the dash to put lights in. how would i go about getting in there to put the lights in and then run the wires to a central spot? i think it might be kikinda hard considering they are tubes that prolly run all they way into the engine right?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Actually I've already done this, well for now I only have neons in the two vents in the middle of the dash (above the A/C controls)..I'm still waiting till I have the cash to get more neons for the other two vents. All you have to do is take apart the dash, and u can fit the neons inside the "tubing" from where the heat & A/C comes out. I used some velcro and electrical, which I still think might melt if I have the heat on for too long. I'm in the process of determining how to attach them better. But as for the wiring, you can easily run it all to the spot where the radio is, then from there, I grounded the - wire to a bolt under the dash, and the + wire is going to a switch in my lower console which is battery powered. I'm gonna get some pics when it's all done. The neons in the vents look really sharp at night.

Mike

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I did a similar install on mine... I've had no problems with heat or AC - I mounted with trim tape to the TOP of the vent, so it shines downward. Works great, and doesn't interfere with the movement of the vent.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but didn't u have to drill holes through the tubing to run the wires? and when u say neons, do u mean the type u can put under seats?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: Bayeri
but didn't u have to drill holes through the tubing to run the wires? and when u say neons, do u mean the type u can put under seats?
You'll have to make a hole to run the wiring, so yes, you will have to drill a hole. I use the 3" minitube neon from Streetglow, I suppose you could use that under the dash if you wanted to. I just stripped the ends off and connected it to a switch. Works great... if you check the link in my sig, you'll see the control box for them :)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Somehow I managed to fit the Streetglow 6" mini neons in mine. Are the 3" ones bright in the vents? I have them for my dome light and they're alright but I didn't think they would shine through the vents that good.

Mike

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
Somehow I managed to fit the Streetglow 6" mini neons in mine. Are the 3" ones bright in the vents? I have them for my dome light and they're alright but I didn't think they would shine through the vents that good.

Mike
The 3" look good... I've got them under the head unit, too for some added coolness ;-)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
cool, maybe i'll go with the 3's for the vents and stick the 6's under my amp shroud :)

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts