New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until a few days ago my system was working fine....now for some reason my capacitor doesnt seem to want to turn on but occasionally it does and my system works....the other day i looked over all of the connections to both my deck and amp and cap and they all seemed fine.....when i get an hour in the next few days im gonna try and disconnect and reconnect everything but until then does anyone have any suggestions of why my cap would keep turning off and on??? thanks for any help

·
Registered
437 Posts
do u happen to have a multimeter?(voltmeter) that could help diagnose the problem without having to connect and disconnect everything. the ground is a good ground to the body of the vehicle?(paint sanded away?)

·
Registered
437 Posts
what kind of cap do u have? i would assume its digital and thats how u know its not turning on. what who makes it? and what size?

·
Registered
552 Posts
It could be a bad ground. It may not be touching 100% bare metal, I would check your ground again, and see what that does. When I had the coug, I also had a bad ground when I first put my system in, same thing would happen, system would only work every once in awhile. Re-wired my ground and hadn't had a problem since.

·
Registered
437 Posts
if you bypass the cap does everything work like it should?

·
Registered
540 Posts
ive been dealing with systems for a few years so i can prolly help you out a lil bit...

well a digital cap stores the constant power of the battery when the cars not running. When the car starts the cap should come out of sleep mode and jump up to about 14.3 or so, now if the cap doesnt light up at all or come out of sleep mode its either a bad connection to the battery or + power source, a bad connection in one of the fusable links in the power wire or just a blown fuse ( im running 3 fuses in my power wire, one up front one in the rear and one after the cap before the amp) you may just have one.. or it could be a bad ground....but its definatly a connection problem if theres no power at the cap or at the amp itsself

hope i could help ya out

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i found the problem....the screw on pieces that are on the fuse holder melted because it fell to close to the engine and because of the melting it was disconnecting the circuit of the fuse.....solution i had to use a vise to crack the fuse holder to get the fuse out and replaced it with a new fuse holder and zip tied it as close to the fender as possible......thanks for all the help!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
where are u running your power wire? cause mine isnt anywhere near the engine. I have mine running from the battery under my intake and along the fender. between the fender and the drivers side front strut tower. then through a hole down behind where the pedals are in the cabin area(not getting in the way of the pedals of course).

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
where are u running your power wire? cause mine isnt anywhere near the engine. I have mine running from the battery under my intake and along the fender. between the fender and the drivers side front strut tower. then through a hole down behind where the pedals are in the cabin area(not getting in the way of the pedals of course).
had mine the same way but there was some slack in the wire when I installed it and was in a rush. 1 year later the fuse holder melted. Im guessing the it was sitting on the tranny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.