New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having any problems changing over to synthetic oil in their new 2001 cougars.
I just tried this morning but they absolutely could not find any Mobil 1 5w-20 for me so I got stuck with regular oil.
(what a waste of my complementary oil change!)
I wasn't able to search for long, but does Mobil 1 even offer a 5w-20 yet?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been told countless times today now that mobil 1 doesn't make
5w-20 yet.
People were also telling me not to put in 5w-30 for fear of voiding my warranty somehow if something bad ever did happen with the 5w-30 in it.
I think I may still put it in.
Even if the dealership doesn't want to, I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I just use what is recommended, and thats 5W-30 (2000 2.5). So I use the Mobil-1 5W-30 at my changes at Super Lube.

Does the 2001 recommend 5W-20?

·
Registered
254 Posts
most of the 2001 model cars has switched to the 5w-20. It will increase fuel economy by a portion of a percent. Why are you trying to go synthetic on your first oil change? You really should break the engine in before you start using synthetic.....atleast 10k.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yeah, I waited till the second oil change (6,000 miles on the dot) to go to synthetic with Mobil-1. Even that may have been a bit too soon, but who knows.

G

·
You do NOT have to break-in the engine before you switch to synthetic oil. Corvettes and Porsches along with a few other cars, all come with Mobil 1 straight from the factory. As a matter of fact, if you look in the Cougar's owners manual, you'll notice that it says there is no specific break-in schedule; just try to vary the speed of your driving during the first 1000 miles or so.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep I've done all that great engine break in stuff.
and I already knew I didn't have to break it in before the oil change.
I'm going to arrange to put the 5w-30 in soon enough.
The whole ordeal is totally ridiculous I think.
Plus I want to put the darn Mobil 1 5w-30 sticker that I bought under the hood! geez

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.