New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That’s right, this is under cosmetic, this is an cosmetic upgrade to get rid of that amber from the front lens. These are turn signals that are 100% street legal and light amber when lit but appears blue when not lit. In actuality it’s a blue haze over a amber bulb, hard to describe. At different angles you can see the amber beneath it. I have included several pics to show the change. In the after pics the amber is greatly reduced, next to none. In fact at a few angles you can make out a little blue. Now all I need to do is get rid of my amber reflector. Oh, the bulbs came as a 2 pack for $20 which I got at Kragen.

In this first pic you see the two bulbs side by side in sunlight, the amber shows through.

This pic is of just the Silver Star in the shade to show the blue haze on it, it is actually stronger than the pictures make it appear.

Before pics of the problem area

After pics of the solution

This is the light during its running mode

This is the light with the signal on, looks just like a normal amber bulb

Attachments

N

·
0 Posts
thats pretty sweet...is the amber brighter than a regular bulb or about the same? cost?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
hey yeah i guess that is a little better . . . not like getting the hyper white bulbs though . . . doesnt look too bad

-Josh

(Get rid of those reflectors) haha

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was editing my message right as you all were posting lol. They are $20 for 2 at Kragen, no other retailer sold them near me. You can order them online for $22.50 direct. They are the 3157 model, wedge base dont confuse it with 1157 which is the Bayonet type used in the tail lights. As for brightness, they seem just as bright as stock.

VHull03 the little lamps on the corners are clear, its the amber reflector that gives it color.

Attatched is a pic of the bulbs in the package.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
the lamps on the sides are clear, its the amber reflector that gives it color.
i realize this, i have 01 headlights and i took my amber pieces out and replaced the white bulbs with amber ones to keep legal, so for me it is the bulb that gives the color. honest mistake man. but i'm wondering if anyone makes a bulb for the corners (same for the sides) that are amber but look blue or diff color??

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope sorry, they dont make it for those little bulbs. I also have never heard of any company making them for those small bulbs. Notice how it appears to be a double bulb in the first pic (bulb inside a bulb) because of this they cant make them that small. I have heard of many people painting their bulbs though, not sure how it looks.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The 01-02 turn signal is a 3757. I went with a hyperwhite 3157, and just shaved the tabs from the sides. For the 194s under the refelctors, i just used a blue 194 since cops in my area dont give a crap.

·
Registered
146 Posts
actually, though they're hard, to find i have seen bulbs for the 194 socket that are an LED cluster. Four clear LEDs that blink amber, looks REAL clean. There's a guy on here, his login is mindtrip something-or-other, who has em and they look great. he also has a larger LED cluster bulb for the turn signal, unlit it looks even clearer than these silverstars make it look and they're the same price or cheaper. and for an added plus, ruling out an electrical surge, LEDs never burn out. i'm lookin for some right now for myself.

JD

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does anyone happen to know where I can get a set of good blue turn signal lights for an 02 coog?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Is there any way to make the turn signals amber only when they are blinking because I hate having that amber light on every time my lights are on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by: hawk3
Is there any way to make the turn signals amber only when they are blinking because I hate having that amber light on every time my lights are on.
No there is no way to manufacture them. But if you were to do something in Led's it might be possible, make it so that for running lights a few white leds are light and when it is a signal make the amber leds light. But rember it is illegal to change that, for leagal reasons the running lights must be amber. But thain again it is also illegal to remove your reflector so its all a matter of what you are going to get caught for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts