New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to switch the color of the interior lights too a blue color... i would get the gauges that light up blue but i like my silver gauges. how are the stock interior lights lit up is it just leds or is it more complicated then that. i wanna match my alpine 7893 deck :):smoke-g::smoke-t:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Are you referring to the dash lights, or the console light in the roof? The roof light can be changed, so can the glove compartment -- both of mine are blue... just got the blue coated bulbs at Pep Boys. There is a light adhesive that you can spray on a lightbulb to give it a different color, so you could simply plug all of the white bulbs from the assemblies and spray them. Keep in mind that you'll need to follow the how-to to remove the coloring on the back of the LCD screen covers, though.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
You can change any color bulb in your car, sans AC control head.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can change any color bulb in your car, sans AC control head.
sans ac control head ?? whats that ?

i was talking the color the guages light up and the color that the ac lights light up ...i wanna turn that blue ...how are they lit up is it LED lights if soo seems simple to do this

·
Registered
209 Posts
changing the color of the bulbs behind the a/c switches will not change the color. if you look at the a/c gauges from the backside, you can see where there is a layer of green paint that is damn hard to remove without damaging the gauges... that is my next project. I am truning mine blue too. I'm actually working on possibly making a custom cover that can be changed to any color, wish me luck....

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I have ruined three sets of AC faces trying to convert them....with no luck yet. I hope you can pull it off. Good luck.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what about the gauges ? is that the same way as the ac knobs ? i wanna keep the silver gauges..i dont like the white gauges. i think this is the only car that i think white gauges dont look good in.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Honestly, you would be better off buying aftermarket gauges.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no white gauges for my cougar...it just doesnt look right

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
so how do you change the interior light(Roof one) cause I wanna put blue in it when I get it back just don't wanna break something. Also...this is a lil off topic from this forum. But how do you change your bulbs in break lights? My passenger side is out and I have no clue on what todo.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you look at the a/c gauges from the backside, you can see where there is a layer of green paint that is damn hard to remove without damaging the gauges
i have a 01,,,i was looking at a 00 and the A/c gauges look alot different. i was thinking maybe it would be easier on a 01 to change the color i dunno, im gonna take apart my dash and try to find out

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
If you wanna change the color of your interior lights, clicky, clicky...just make sure you use 3mm LED's on the lock and window switches...I've tried using 5mm cause they were easy to get, but it was a real bear making them fit...

Magoo--to change your interior one...remove the light fixture from the overhead console with a little flathead screwdriver...disconnect the wires and pop open the back cover...you'll need one of those funky long bulbs...

Slownfurious--I noticed your sig says you have a push button start...wanna PM me with approx. cost and difficulty?? :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Originally posted by: slownfurious
no white gauges for my cougar...it just doesnt look right
Not all aftermarket gauges are white! Mine are silver with blue reverse indiglo.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Slownfurious--I noticed your sig says you have a push button start...wanna PM me with approx. cost and difficulty??
i dont remember exactly what wires to tap/splice into... wasnt too hard. hardest part was trying to find a place to mount the button

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I too also have silver reverse indiglos because i was stubborn and tried to mod the stock gauges...If you too want to mod the stock, just dremel off the green paint and place a VERY thin layer of color you want...but light has to be able to pass through and thin enough to where the needles dont stick...and I tried everything under the sun on how to make it brighter..it doesnt work. Just make sure if you decide to tinker with it that you know what you are doing, and if you dont, you have backup gauges.... you should really check out ebay for Silver reverse indiglo gauges, mine are HOT!

G

·
Magoo: On taillight question, pop your trunk, pull back the carpet lining behind your tailights, you will see three screws with plastic wing nuts- remove and the whole light assembly comes out. The lights bulbs twist and pop out. I changed my reverse lights to blue. dome lights are blue as well. I did this by going to AutoZone and buying gel covers for the lights (.99) and sliding them on. Ultra cheap. And the blue being on a Melina Blue cougar looks hella cool.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
if you want to change the color of the info/clock LCD screen all you have to do is open up the Gauge assembly....remove the black plastic clips holing the LCD down. then use a razor blade and pull the green plastic screen from the LCD glass.

You MUST take extreme caution. look really really close before you start cutting. you will see that the green/white screen is on the bottom. its about 1mm thick. thats what your removing...once its removed...sand or use the razor blade to scrape the "green" off then either paint it with a clear candy coat or use colored cellophame of your choice and BINGO! colored LCDs.

The cool things is that if you use an overhead projector clear sheet with a printed image that image would show up on the LCD screen when you turned your lights on.

There are Aftermarket reverse Indiglo blue indiglo gauges with Silver background on ebay for 38 bucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts