New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really good at swapping Alternators out now

So I decide to change my alternator now instead of waiting and having an incident similar to Sled's so 2 weekends ago I had Slade's old Alternator rebuilt for $100 and we put it in. I started it up revved it to 5000RPM no light everything appeared to be good. Becky took it and she promptly returned with the gauges going nuts and the battery in the beginning stages of boiling over. So we had everything tested at Autozone and everything checked out fine, old and new Alt. and Battery. So last weekend after talking with the rebuilder I decide to try it again this time I have a volt meter with me. So everything seems fine, I put 1hr. drive time on it and then just before I get home everything went wacky again. So I put the volt meter on it and it reads around 17 volts! No good. So out it comes and the original Alt goes back in again. Alternator swap number 2 for those of you keeping track. Oh yeah this was Mon. nite when it was 25 degrees out, thankfully I have a heater. So I took it back to the rebuilder this time he let it run on his test bunch for atleast an hour and didn't get it to reproduce the symptons, but he put a new regulator on it anyways. So now I get to put it back in and try it again. It better F-in work. He said the 2000(Slade's) alt. has a different regulator then the 1999(my car) model. So I can have the alternators swapped in about 1.5 hrs. now thanks to the repetitive nature of this :banghead: I'll probably put the rebuilt one back in Fri. or Sat.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
RE:I'm really good at swapping Alternators out now

Good Luck with the alt. Let us know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

Damn dude that is no good.
Good luck with the new reg. in that alternator
I see why everyone wants to get rid of their Cougars.
:mad:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

My God! If I were you, keep the Ranger and get rid of the Cougar if it's paid off. Maybe you and Slade could go car shopping together. Awwww :)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Originally posted by: silverkat
My God! If I were you, keep the Ranger and get rid of the Cougar if it's paid off. Maybe you and Slade could go car shopping together. Awwww :)
Yeah that way I could keep him from getting a weird color like Spruce Green.

:biggrin:
Really though it isn't so much the cars problem as it is the rebuild job I got, I guess I just got unlucky with that.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

Yeah that way I could keep him from getting a weird color like Spruce Green.
LOL- funny cuz I was talking to Mike (Wozniak, my buddy's brother who works at the toyota dealer) about choosing a mod-friendly color. Reds and blues and yellows ussually are the colors that accent parts come in. I just havent been able to find that spruce green set of spark plug wires :shrug:;)

I dont know what color I want next. I still like spruce green- its a nice sophisticated color that not many people have. Kinda like that Autumn orange which I really like too...and would have the same issues with having to custom paint EVERYTHING. I'll prolly be less afraid of getting red now that I am older and not such a huge popo target (yeah right).

oh- btw Jeff, you need to add a "swap" to your list. Swap #2 was done by us the first day. We replaced the original with the rebuilt and then replaced the rebuilt with the original. Then you did what? Two more on your own? Either way, between you and tony and me I think we have a business opportunity here :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Actually I'm starting to lose track of the swaps, I guess If I think about it I've bolted an Alternator (org. or rebuilt) in that car 4 times. It will be 5 this weekend. And it better be the last time!!!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the latest situation is working. The guy that rebuilt the alternator got me a brand new Alt. and I also decided to take a closer look at the battery. I tested each cell of the battery and found them all to be dead! Plus the battery was only showing 9-10 volts on the meter, so I bought a new motorcraft battery for $80 and it is the exact same size. So last night I installed the new Alt. and the new Battery and so far so good I have atleast 1 hrs. drive time on it.

So in retrospect I believe the old weaker alternator wore the stock battery down and when I installed the rebuilt alt. the old battery wasn't handling the output of the new alt, or maybe a few of the cells were shorted out in the battery? Another good point to remember is when Slade had his problems in C-bus he replaced the battery then the alternator and he has been fine ever since.

So for now I won't be looking for a cliff to drive it off of yet. Now on to fixing the delay wipers:banghead:

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,731 Posts
Good to hear, Jeff. I'm still on my stock battery (knock on wood) and I'm doing fine. Thanks for all the updates!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
When my alternator died, the red light on my battery came on. The next day when Slade, John, and Yoha went to get my car they had to jump it. When they got the alternator in, it need jumped one more time and my battery hasn't had a problem since : except for the negative cable coming loose. Jeff glad to hear everything seems to be better. I gots my fingers crossed for you :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts