New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
yes it is, but if you have to ask then its not a project for you.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I got one also. I want to keep the cougar for a long turm but I'm not to happy with the VCT Zetec engine so will there be much trouble to drop in the Focus SVT 2.0L engine? Cause this I4 doesn't have much balls So I figured Y not just install that instead of the 2.5L V6. I was just asking cause I wonder if that engine works with our MTX-75 transmissionas well. Thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yes serious trouble. You're talking about a total engine swap with mounts, wiring and ECU. Not worth it for the cost vs HP gain unless you can get a donor enigne, wiring harness, and ECU for dirt cheap, around $1000 for the set

You might want to look into a JRSC for the easiest HP gain for the less mechanically inclined. A guy on the Contour Forums just did a install of a Focus JRSC setup and said it took only minimal mods for our engines. Won't make as much HP or TQ as a turbo, but it will be easier, and if you can get a used kit, almost as cheap as a homemade turbo setup.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Originally posted by: Josh125XR
I got one also. I want to keep the cougar for a long turm but I'm not to happy with the VCT Zetec engine so will there be much trouble to drop in the Focus SVT 2.0L engine? Cause this I4 doesn't have much balls So I figured Y not just install that instead of the 2.5L V6. I was just asking cause I wonder if that engine works with our MTX-75 transmissionas well. Thanks
You could in a sense, it bolts to the mtx 75, so mounts wouldnt be a problem. Only thing would be engine wiring, which probably isnt much different. And the big thing is the ecu, Im not so sure the focus ecu would work too well on our car.

The big thing being the svt zetec has higher compression, different rods/ pistons, an imrc setup intake manifold, and vct on the good side which is the intake cam.

Now it is possible to mod your lowly zetec beyond power levels of the svt zetec.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i also heard that the subframe is different from 4cyl compared with the 6 cyl....good luck on that

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Originally posted by: TURBOZETECOUGAR
i also heard that the subframe is different from 4cyl compared with the 6 cyl....good luck on that
its since been discovered its the same, only the atx and mtx subframes are different

·
Registered
407 Posts
so what all would be needed to swap a 2.5 mtx into the i4? do the tranny from the i4 bolt up to the 2.5 engine? would you have to upgrade clutch/flywheel and such?......also, how different is the wiring harness?

-steve

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by: Ness1216
yes it is, but if you have to ask then its not a project for you.
i was asking this because awhile back i posted in the 3L section and someone said i couldnt because of the subframe difference mentioned in one of the above posts. i was thinking of doing this a few months ago but after reading the whole 3L forum, i posted the question and they said it would be impossible. here is a link to that post.

previous post

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well Ill say this as well, a stock v6 cougar isnt really that much powerful then the 4. I mean it is, but all the work to swap them over isnt worth it in my opinion. with a little work the 4 can haul ass. And it responds much better to mods than the 6. Now if your planning on boosting, both engines love it, so I dont see a need to swap then either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.