New Cougar Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,796 Posts
They are pretty much all the same. I think the OBX are stainless, but are a thinner steel than the MSDS. So whatever.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,796 Posts
Correct

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
19 Posts
Okay, I know this post is maybe "dead & gone" but it must be said that the 2000 SVT engines do NOT have higher compression (unless a thinned headgasket is used). I disassembled an original one myself besides a 98 SVT and a 96 Mystique, the combustion chambers are all identical (00 SVT has extrude-honed intake ports to match the extrude-honed intake manifolds) and the pistons are identical among ALL 2.5 Contours/Mystiques whether it's an SVT or not.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
The truth is quite a few of those very early posts from when the forum was a busy place have some questionable information in them. Even the "Cougar 101" thread has some bad information in it.

But:

Out of curiosity, I looked up the pistons on Rockauto and here's what I found:

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
19 Posts
Yes, in the process of building up a 3.0 hybrid for my brother's SVT I debunked a LOT of hearsay in the Contour realm. Somewhere along the line miscommunications or presumptions were made that too many took to heart early in the Contour/Mystique/Cougar game :/ There was a LOT of misnomers regarding the different 2.5 heads, 2.5 intakes, the 3.0 Hybrid process as a whole, 2.5 vs 3.0 cams, motor mounts, and a few other little things that I could actually prove and disprove with video evidence.

I couldn't get your link to work so I visited RockAuto and saw only Sealed Power pistons are still available and are labeled "for SVTs", I think those pistons coincidentally have more compression than all 2.5s (the round dome appears to be the same height but seems to have a larger diameter in relation to the complete diameter) and they list them for the SVTs either for liability or because the SVT ECU better tunes for pinging (I would not know any specifics about this).

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
I couldn't get your link to work so I visited RockAuto and saw only Sealed Power pistons are still available and are labeled "for SVTs", I think those pistons coincidentally have more compression than all 2.5s (the round dome appears to be the same height but seems to have a larger diameter in relation to the complete diameter) and they list them for the SVTs either for liability or because the SVT ECU better tunes for pinging (I would not know any specifics about this).
I didnt post a link, it was an image. Maybe you have a browser problem. The dome is .039 taller.

Reactions: The 1982 EXPert

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
19 Posts
I didnt post a link, it was an image. Maybe you have a browser problem. The dome is .039 taller.
Oh I see now, that's a good chart you nabbed

That could definitely be true, 0.039" is not a discernable amount

61 - 75 of 75 Posts