New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
3L Install Maestro
7,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So your thinking to yourself... The SVT contour uses a 2.5L Duratec motor but has 200hp vs. my 170hp. What is different and how can I turn mine into a SVT.

What you'll need for various amounts of SVT parts upgrades:

SVT Upgrade Lite
-SVT LIM ~50
-SVT UIM ~150
-SVT TB ~100
-TB Cable ~20
-TB Bracket ~20
-Gaskets ~100
=$480, minimal labor (very easy)
Total power increase expected: 5-8hp more at the crank

99% of the people should stop here. The more involved upgrades below are not as common as they once were due to 3L swaps. You will get more power and generally better reliability out of a 3L swap.

SVT Upgrade 90%
-SVT LIM ~50
-SVT UIM ~150
-SVT TB ~100
-TB Cable ~20
-TB Bracket ~20
-Gaskets ~150
-SVT Cams ~150
-SVT 19# Injectors ~60

-SCT custom dyno tune ($500 at local dyno shop and the best over all option for maximum power)
OR
-XCal 2 or 3 with a mail order tune that has the SVT tune (~$400 with purchase of Xcal 3, $150 for tune only if you currently have an Xcal)
OR
-SVT ECU to properly handle the 19# injectors & cams ~75
-PATS re-key at your local dealer to have the ECU recognize your keys ~100 (could also get keys with SVT ECU and swap the PATS chip into existing keys)

=$775-1200, serious labor (engine timing = mucho work)
Total power increase expected: 15-20hp more at the crank

SVT Upgrade FULL
-SVT LIM ~50
-SVT UIM ~150
-SVT TB ~100
-TB Cable ~20
-TB Bracket ~20
-Gaskets ~250
-SVT Heads & Cams ~450
-SVT 19# Injectors ~60
-SVT Pistons ~150
Added by DanG:
-New rings, block hone (must do if changing pistons- Realizing that you've torn the complete engine down and handed it to a machine shop for this kind of work) ~400-500 with labor

-SCT custom dyno tune ($500 at local dyno shop and the best over all option for maximum power)
OR
-XCal 2 or 3 with a mail order tune that has the SVT tune (~$400 with purchase of Xcal 3, $150 for tune only if you currently have an Xcal)
OR
-SVT ECU to properly handle the 19# injectors & cams ~75
-PATS re-key at your local dealer to have the ECU recognize your keys ~100 (could also get keys with SVT ECU and swap the PATS chip into existing keys)

~$1785-2210, SERIOUS labor
Total power increase expected: Full 30hp at the crank if using 2000 SVT pistons (10.25:1)- 25hp if using '98 or '99s (10.0:1)

If power is all you are after then stepping up to a 3L is a better way to go. Of course, the SVT intakes, cams and throttle body all work on a 3L and help increase hp. See the 3L section for more info on 3L swaps.

Also note that anything beyond "SVT Upgrade Lite" will require running premium fuel forevermore.

For detailed information on the SVT LITE upgrade including part numbers and a how-to please see this post: http://www.newcougar.org/forums/2-5l-duratec-performance/97216-svt-lite-upgrade-dummies.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
i dont know anything about these cars. I own a 2000 cougar with a 2.5l v6 with the manual transmission. if i were to buy the contour svt engine will i bolt in to the cougars engines locations, and will it work on my trans?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
i dont know anything about these cars. I own a 2000 cougar with a 2.5l v6 with the manual transmission. if i were to buy the contour svt engine will i bolt in to the cougars engines locations, and will it work on my trans?
yes it will. and i have a contour svt engine for sale, it's listed in the for sale section. in the event this gets deleted, which it most likely will because it's off topic, i pm'ed you

jeff,

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
In fact, don't the returnless engines come with an SVT spec LIM stock?

·
Administrator
15,431 Posts
The fuel rail is the same. If you have a 2000 Cougar the LIM is the same as well.

You CAN use the SVT injectors without a tune but I wouldn't recommend it. What I would recommend doing if you want to upgrade your injectors is buying an SVT ECU and installing that in your car.

For a returnless SVT ECU it will be code XGT1. Be sure to get the programmed PATS chip with it to install in your key or you'll need to have the dealership reprogram your key.

·
3L Install Maestro
7,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Updated pricing to today's market value

Also, to those looking at this thread. Larger fuel injectors do not get you more power. The stock 17lb Cougar injectors are going to be fine for pretty much any bolt on you could put on a 2.5L motor. Swapping injectors requires a tune. Do not swap injectors unless you do something major like swap a 3L or 2.5L SVT motor into your car OR the major SVT upgrades listed above (excluding SVT lite).

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Also note that anything beyond "SVT Upgrade Lite" will require running premium fuel forevermore.
Is this still correct? I was speaking with Dom during dyno day and he said he's run 87 on SVT ECU's with 19# injectors in the past with no issues.

When I install everything I have on my 2.5 I will have the SVT Lite plus the SVT ECU and 19# injectors, no tune. Will I be able to run 87 on mine and switch to 91+ when I feel like it without issues? Does the ECU auto adjust to the different octane?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Updated pricing to today's market value

Also, to those looking at this thread. Larger fuel injectors do not get you more power. The stock 17lb Cougar injectors are going to be fine for pretty much any bolt on you could put on a 2.5L motor. Swapping injectors requires a tune. Do not swap injectors unless you do something major like swap a 3L or 2.5L SVT motor into your car OR the major SVT upgrades listed above (excluding SVT lite).
Just out of curiousity, did you read this? Unless you're using SVT parts OTHER than the intake parts you don't need SVT injectors. If you have something else that will need the larger injectors then by all means share and I'll shut up.

Yes the ECU should adjust to the octane difference (to my knowledge), but with just an SVT Lite upgrade you don't need SVT injectors and thus don't need anything other than 87 octane anyway.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Just out of curiousity, did you read this? Unless you're using SVT parts OTHER than the intake parts you don't need SVT injectors. If you have something else that will need the larger injectors then by all means share and I'll shut up.
Yes sir, I did read the original post in its entirerity, I was just challenging its content based on what an experienced member had told me.

Also...

...I will have the SVT Lite plus the SVT ECU and 19# injectors, no tune.
Thank you for the octane info though!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Okay. What are you hoping to achieve with larger injectors, but with no SVT internal engine parts?
The SVT ECU does A LOT with the air/fuel ratio. That's really the primary reason to install it. And it expects 19# injectors to do its job.

The stock Duratec ECU does not handle air/fuel well AT ALL in high-load situations - it just lays down and dies and throws gas at it because it thinks that Grandma has had a stroke at the wheel.

·
3,399 Posts
The SVT ECU does A LOT with the air/fuel ratio. That's really the primary reason to install it. And it expects 19# injectors to do its job.

The stock Duratec ECU does not handle air/fuel well AT ALL in high-load situations - it just lays down and dies and throws gas at it because it thinks that Grandma has had a stroke at the wheel.
yes, this was quite obvious for anyone who was at the CougarFest dyno day. every single one just went pig rich at about 5500 RPM.

as for the Premium issue, yes you can use 87 (the SVT manual recommends 91 but does not state it is required). there are many SVT owners who have ran 87 with no problems, however there are also many members who try 87 and find it pings on hard accel which goes away when they switch back to 91. every car and engine is different so it will be up to the owner to determine if they can safely use 87 on the SVT ECU.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
The SVT engine uses premium PRIMARILY because of the higher compression from the domed pistons. They can run on 87 due to the knock sensor's ability to pull the spark timing when the car starts to detonate. You're losing horsepower from retarded timing on an SVT engine if you use regular, though, that's for certain.

·
3,399 Posts
The SVT engine uses premium PRIMARILY because of the higher compression from the domed pistons. They can run on 87 due to the knock sensor's ability to pull the spark timing when the car starts to detonate. You're losing horsepower from retarded timing on an SVT engine if you use regular, though, that's for certain.
i would actually say its due to the timing curve that SVT set for the car. the CR of the SVT engine is 10:1 for the early engines and 10.25:1 for the later engines. the standard Duratec 3L has a CR of 10:1 as well and it runs just fine on 87 in the Taurus.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Okay I never knew that, very good to know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok ill spell it out because this is frustrating. the need for a bigger injector comes when you mod to the point where your engine needs more fuel. whats the goal of a turbo and a supercharger???? to force as much air into your engine as possible not fuel!!!!! all your doing is putting unburned fuel out your exhaust and ruining your high flow converter if you have one.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts