New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the price on SVT UIMs are sky high these days, I was wondering if it would be best to just take a dremel and grind everything to a larger port size. I have an SVT LIM sitting in my garage right now, along with the SVT TB. The only thing is, I won't have that smooth finish on the inside of the manifold right? It will be bumpy like the outside. How can I go about fixing this? I have a lot of spare time, just not the cash to spend on an SVT UIM.

Mike

N

·
0 Posts
How would you be able to reach all through the runners? If you cant reach the runners, you will end up distorting the air flow and actually making the flow worse. Just save your money....maybe Ebay will have one pop up some time.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by: naynay
How would you be able to reach all through the runners? If you cant reach the runners, you will end up distorting the air flow and actually making the flow worse. Just save your money....maybe Ebay will have one pop up some time.
well, how do they do it?

Mike

·
Administrator
11,561 Posts
Dremel makes a flexable extension tip for hard to reach places. But the chances of you boring out each one to the precision you'd need would be neigh impossible.

How do they do it? With specially crafted tools....like the Roto-Matic as seen on TV by Billy Mayes.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering because I was searching for threads about the SVT UIM and I found one from a while back and somebody mentioned that it can all be done with dremel at a cost of about $150. I don't quite understand what that means.

Mike

N

·
0 Posts
They extrude hone the UIM. Thats what makes it larger and a polished look. There are still comapnies out there that will extrude hone your UIM if you are interested...but it still may still cost you a few hondred dollars. I dont think SVT dremels there parts....atleast i hope not.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It can be done like this...

and this...

Use a drill, bit extension and various sanding drums/stones. Along with many hours of your time.

N

·
0 Posts
That would work....

Sorry, i misunderstood the question anyways so i will just go over to my little corner and eat me a box of shut the hell up. Good luck.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
The company that did them for Ford was called Extrude Hone, they even use a picture of a CSVT on their site. You could send them your UIM, and have it dual honed (SVT UIMs are dual honed), but it is quite expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
yeah, I believe extrude honing uses an abrasive putty and forces it through the runners to make them larger and smoother.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Originally posted by: Aries
yeah, I believe extrude honing uses an abrasive putty and forces it through the runners to make them larger and smoother.
Correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts