New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading multiple posts on here about the SVT TPS issues I'm pretty certain that this is the problem but I need to explain how I got here. My car sits during the winter here in Utah mainly due to the intake being so low on the car but also because I have a SUV that i drive instead. I maintain it during the off season and keep a trickle charger on it and I start occasionally just to let run for a bit. That said, when I started it to get the emissions done, it through a code saying the motor was over speeding and so I assumed it was a vacuum leak. However, that was not the case. I replace the IAT sensor and regulator and nothing, It was still idling about 900 rpm instead of 750 rpm at idle which has been consistent since I did all the mods several years ago (see my parts list for details). I also installed new E3 plugs as well. (the NOS is hard on the plugs) I have a plug in that tells my ET and other performance info but it also has real time info so my TPS was at 17 which I have found was normal. But I removed the TPS and broke after fiddling with it. While I was waiting for the new TPS for the SVT TB I smoke tested the car for vacuum leaks and there were none. So I got me TPS ( I assume it was correct) and tried to install it. I did the counter clockwise turn when installing and heard and audible "click" and was oh F.... I just broke that POS. Sure enough, It read zero on my gauge and now I am getting the low voltage error code which is normal with a broken TPS. But before I go get another today. I want to insure I install correctly as I don't want to keep buying and breaking these turds.

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
You shouldn't have to twist it more than maybe 15 or 20 degrees during install. Basically just put it on the throttle as-is then line up the bolt holes and that's that. GENTLY test the throttle by hand to make sure it's right before moving on.

For the idle speed issue, unfortunately the first answer is always going to be check for vacuum leaks. Since you've already made it that far, the next thing would be the IACV. You can try to clean it but usually you're better off just replacing it. Unfortunately, it seems the brand new ones are occasionally bad out of the box too but thats just something to be aware of, not to stress over.

If that doesn't fix it, I would honestly go back to vacuum. Sometimes the little leaks are super tough to find.

It's also worth mentioning that if you didn't put it through a couple drive cycles after the long shut down, it would be a good idea to do that before going any further.

... I replace the IAT sensor and regulator and nothing,...
What regulator?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'll tell you Autozone will give you the wrong part number every time if you need a SVT TPS. Assuming The others will as well, CEG has the correct part number off the shelf.

Also note, SVT TPS and non SVT face different directions, IIRC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts