New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHat exactly is the incombatibility with the two and is it fixable. Just wondering? I love traction control in the winter but it sucks if I cant do that cause I mean in like twenty years I think I might have some money to start doing stuff to my car. Later

G

·
I am Paul from the UK on CEG. I have fitted the SVT TB with Traction Control. The later cars use ignition traction control, cutting the spark to the engine. Tthere is NO connection to the TB. You will have no problems doing this mod!!

Paul.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Okay... this is probly the single bigest MYTH about our cars I can think of. The problem lies in that some cars with traction control use a "box" to control them. The throttle cable goes from the gas pedal to this box. Then another cable goes from this box to the throttle body. The svt cable cannot be fitted to this "box"... at least not without some preaty serious modification. Now this is where it gets interesting... some cougars (mine included) that have traction control do not have this box. They operate by killing the spark and its all done through the EEC. I found that when I did mine... not only did I not have to worry about the traction control... I didnt even have to use the new cable I ordered... my old one was IDENTICAL. So... you kinda just have to look.. if you see a box... then you will need the svt cable. If you dont... well.. you MAY not need the svt cable... its kinda weird... anyways.. either way... you can NO MATTER WHAT fit the svt throttle body to ANY car with traction control. The problem is when you use the new cable you bypass the traction control and it no longer works. So... yeh... i know im confusing... but take my word for it... you can most certainly have the svt parts with traction control.... you just MAY loose you traction control.

G

·
now i confused, i thought by by getting the svt conversion cable from sp motorsports you would be able to keep your traction contol. Now it seems that no mater what you willnot be able to keep your traction control. Can somone please clear this up for me? Thanks

G

·
Yours is a 2000 model, YOU will be OK, absolutely NO problem. Your traction control is ignition controlled. Fit the SVT TB, you will not regret it. My throttle cable also did not need changing.
paul.

G

·
I have the SVT TB on my 2000 MTX with T/C. I have no problems at all. I can drive with the T/C on or off and everything works fine.

peace

G

·
No you will be fine!!! Open your hood and follow the cables back from the TB. The one nearest the firewall will go to a unit underneath the windshield. That is the cruise control unit.

The other cable will go off and disappear through the firewall, that is the throttle cable. Neither of these cables are connected to the traction control system which monitors for any wheel spin and stops the cylenders sparking, nothing to do with the cables connected to the TB.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have a late 99 with traction control and i still have traction working traction control.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Where can one get the SVT TB and the Gasket set, i have a late 99 with the ignition controled Traction control system, so i know this will work, i also have the proper throttle cable. Will i recieve any gains with just a TB and not the upper intake?

G

·
You'll feel a difference, especially about 3500rpm. I had to return mine to stock for some warranty work and the difference was so great, even my wife noticed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.