New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally pulled the stock upper, cleaned the lower, and installed the SVT upper. Everything went well except for the bracket. The stock bracket had three bolts, one bolting to the tb and two to the upper. The SVT has two to the upper and the third one looks like it should have a hole on the TB like the stock one did, but it doesnt. It lines up with the TB bolt hole that attaches to the upper. So I pulled the bolt and tried to bolt the braket with the TB to the upper, this just caused it to sit crooked. Do i need to put some washers behind there or what?

After cutting my thumb when disconnecting the cc cable, I didnt try to do the throttle cable. Is this simple to replace, or will it be a pita?

Also what color are the stock 17# injectors?

Thanks

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I installed my SVT bracket, it worked fine. I did have to turn it around and look at it at different angles, though, to see how it fit, but it wasn't a problem. As for the TB cable, if you have someone to help you install it, then it's a piece of cake. My dad pushed it through the fire wall and i was under the dash grabbing it to fit it on the pedal. Like I said- it's a two person job. O, by the way, the stock injectors are 16# and the one's on my car were beige.

P.S.: You still not interested in those SVT 19# injectors? They'd go great with that SVT upper and TB.

Nick

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Ive heard SVT's have a half inch (or whatever) spacer to put between the bracket and uim... i just put the bolt thru and tightened it as is. The throttle cable comes in at a slight angle because of this but its been fine for like 8k+ miles. A stack of washers could work but thatll look ghetto. If you really want, get a wood dowel from home depot, cut a 1/2" (or whatever) length of it, drill a hole thru the center, paint it black and use that as your spacer.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You dont need any spacers. The TB bracket bolts up to the UIM in 3 spots. You should actually attach the TB Bracket to the UIM before you install it on the car. Its easier. on the 2000+ Cougar, the stock injectors are 17#/hr. And they are beige.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks, My injectors were whitish beige, I was just curious. So the 16 and 17 # injectors are the same color?

No, i dont think that I will be needing the 19# injectors as people have told me they are not needed unless doing FI, n2o, or 3L.

Thanks

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't know who you talked to about not getting 19# injectors. But if your gonna put more air in your engine, which you have with the SVT UIM, SVT TB, and CAI, than you should add more fuel to- to get better gains. You should get a Pro Flow MAF and 19# injectors and you'll have better gains than you do now.

check out my set up,
Nick

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
dont the 19lb'ers merely have the capacity to spray more fuel? With all SVT bits and stock 17lbers at WOT does the motor really lean out or something? Also, if the SVT and non MAF's are the same part, then whats with the pro-flo's "19#/hr injector calibrated" electronics? wouldnt you really need the svt ecu for them?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct the stock injectors are not nearly mawed out at stock levels. They should be good for an additional 30-50 hp, so I am told.

True the larger 19# CAN deliver more fuel, but only if you reach the limit of the stock injectors.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
With the stock injectors, you should be able to push just over 200fwhp. After that point, you should upgrade injectors.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Originally posted by: tropiccougar01
With the stock injectors, you should be able to push just over 200fwhp. After that point, you should upgrade injectors.
:crazy:

You guys have a poor attitude. :loser:

We should always be looking for MORE power. If the stock injectors can only handle 200hp, then you should upgrade them now, while there's an opportunity for a Great price, so you know you're getting the most potential out of all of the mods you put on your engine. Also, if you wan to roun the SVT set up, you should definitly get the Pfo Flow MAF. It is clabrated to work with your stock ECU and the 19# injectors. Them you'll get a better fuel/air mixture, better combustion, and (most importantly) more power.
Always look for more power! :kick:

Nick

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If you want to do the SVT stuff, and dont have the SVT cams, its no good to get the 19# injectors. If you have the whole SVT setup, it would be worthwhile to have the 19#ers. Because then you could use the SVT ECU instead of the ProFlow as fuel management, and not have to worry about throwing a CEL with the proflow(like soo many cougars do).

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
ill say this,, to everyone i have talked to that has done the svt injectors they have sorely dissapointed.. then the people who have put their 17lph injectors back in noticed the power they were missing and improved gas mileage. they really are a waste of money unless your putting out atleast 200 fwhp atleast ,, even still the stock could hold up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts