New Cougar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
PATS, as in Passive Anti-Theft System?

You don't need to concern yourself with that unless you are swapping out the ECU.

If you are swapping out the ECU, your PATS system will need to be re-programmed unless the ECU you purchase comes with a key as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am considering doing this upgrade but I have a question, does replacing the UIM, LIM and the throttle body from the Cougar with the SVT Coutour shorten the life span of the Cougar's engine, sorry if my question seems a bit stupid but as much as I want to get a few more hp I do not wish to shorten my cars lifespan since it is the first car, and also will the tranny be fine with the gain or would it also shorten the trannys lifespan? Any input is appreciated.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
All depends on how you drive it.

Also - you're driving a 12-to 16-year-old car. How long of a lifespan are you expecting?

Also - I have been driving mine like I stole it for 12 years. The original engine now has 197,000 miles on it.

REGULAR.

MAINTENANCE.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok when you say it that way it puts my mind at ease, I was afraid in doing that I would drastically shorten the cars lifespan, also I noticed on the recommended part. The EGR Gasket - E6AZ9D476B and the IACV Gasket - E83Z9F670A where listed, would it be better to put the SVT EGR and the IACV Valve as well instead of just the gasket?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok so I managed to find a junk yard with a 2000 SVT Contour, I have already ordered all the parts it all came to $375 shipped now before I do anything I have a few questions just to be safe, first here is the list of parts I purchased.

2000 Ford Contour SVT 138K miles
UIM
LIM
Throttle body with throttle position sensor
Throttle body bracket
Air box with fender snorkel
Hose connecting throttle body to MAF assembly
MAF assembly
Hardware (screws etc)

My Cougar was manufactures 7/98 so based on the forum the LIM would be of benefit, also my car is ATX so I do not need the throttle cable, I am aware I will need the throttle position sensor from the SVT.

Question 1. Do I also need to use the MAF sensor from the SVT, I was not sure so I ordered it as well to be safe?
Question 2. Will I have to do anything with with the fuel system such as change the rail and fuel injectors or can I leave the original one in?
Question 3. Please don't laugh my knowledge on cars is very small compared to most. Will the check engine light be triggered if I do the SVT lite upgrade, I am modifying how the car was intended to work so I am curious if that would trigger the check engine?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
take the cams from that car too! no need to let svt cams go to waste, you can sell those for around $150 if you dont use them to go fast. You could score some profit for the engine computer and the air mass sensor too. No svt parts should ever be crushed.

·
So its begun.....
16,835 Posts
Ok so I managed to find a junk yard with a 2000 SVT Contour, I have already ordered all the parts it all came to $375 shipped now before I do anything I have a few questions just to be safe, first here is the list of parts I purchased.

2000 Ford Contour SVT 138K miles
UIM
LIM
Throttle body with throttle position sensor
Throttle body bracket
Air box with fender snorkel
Hose connecting throttle body to MAF assembly
MAF assembly
Hardware (screws etc)

My Cougar was manufactures 7/98 so based on the forum the LIM would be of benefit, also my car is ATX so I do not need the throttle cable, I am aware I will need the throttle position sensor from the SVT.
Unless you're bench racing, swapping LIM will have minimal effect on anything.
Question 1. Do I also need to use the MAF sensor from the SVT, I was not sure so I ordered it as well to be safe?
No. Your stock MAF will be fine.
Question 2. Will I have to do anything with with the fuel system such as change the rail and fuel injectors or can I leave the original one in?
Fuel system will not need to be touched. If you got the injectors too, which I didn't see on the list, then it would be another issue.
Question 3. Please don't laugh my knowledge on cars is very small compared to most. Will the check engine light be triggered if I do the SVT lite upgrade, I am modifying how the car was intended to work so I am curious if that would trigger the check engine?
No CEL should come up unless you forget to plug something in.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
There you go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
DBPolice - if I could I would have bought the entire engine XD. I wanted to buy the parts just for the upgrade, I did not want to buy extra parts that I could not use even do I could have sold and made extra cash. I don't have storage for them.

LostRacer - Thank you for answering my questions, which cleared my concerns. Since you said LIM will be minimal change I will leave the stock one in.
Once again thanks for the input I really appreciate it.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts