New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
3L Install Maestro
7,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SVT LITE For Dummies

Purpose: To get more hp out of your stock Cougar using components from the SVT Contour (1998-2000).

================================

What you will DEFINATELY need:

SVT Upper Intake Manifold - 1S8Z9424AA
SVT Throttle Body - F7RZ9E926AA
SVT Throttle Body Bracket - F8RZ9677AA (discontinued?)

Hint: Wait for someone to sell these parts in the classified section to save $$$.

Now ask yourself:

"Self, was my car built after May 1999?"
(This can be determined by looking at the info plate on the drivers side door)

If you said NO you will also need:
SVT Lower Intake Manifold - F7RZ9U531AA

If you said YES you just saved about $50

Now ask yourself:
"Self, is my car an ATX (Automatic) with cruise control?"

If you said YES you will also need:
Cruise Control Cable - F5RZ9A820B

If you said NO or don't use cruise you just saved a few $$$

Now ask yourself:
"Self, is my car an MTX (Manual)?"

If you said YES you will also need:
SVT Throttle Cable - XS8Z9A758CA (The ATX uses the same throttle cable as the SVT)

If you said NO you just saved a few $$$

Optional but recommended:

SVT Throttle Body Gasket - F5DZ9E936AE (discontinued?)
FelPro's # for the SVT TB is 61075

Upper Intake Manifold Gasket SET - F5RZ9H486BA

Lower Intake Manifold Gasket SET - F5RZ9439B
(Only Needed If You Are Buying The Lower Intake As Well)

EGR Gasket - E6AZ9D476B

IACV Gasket - E83Z9F670A

SVT Upper Intake Badge - F8NV6404AA

Once all that is collected you can grab the UIM rebuild guide which will show you how to take the upper manifold off and if needed the lower (even if your LIM is SVT spec, what the hell, your already in there so take it off and clean it!)

Tools needed: Flat head screw driver, ratchet, 8mm socket, 10mm socket, 7mm socket, and fuel line disconnects (if swapping LIM).

Important Note: To disconnect the plastic lines on top of the intake press and hold the plastic ring down (where the line goes into the intake) and it will release the line. Use your fingers as a screw driver may break the plastic ring. Slowly work the line out.

Cheap Ford Parts: Where can you find ford parts for cheap? Contact Tousley Ford! Call 1-800-328-9552 and ask for Steve or Mike M. to receive 10% over cost on any ford part.

·
THE NECO Newfie
1,762 Posts
So, you don't need a cruise control cable for an MTX then? Only the SVT throttle cable?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
What is the size difference between a regular 2.5 TB and a SVT TB?

Note: I did try searching, but to no avail!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 1999 Mercury Cougar ATX V6...Production Date was 8/28/1998..I don't know if it's a Return or Returnless and would I need a SVT LIM when I'm doing an SVT Upgrade?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
SVT TB Gasket F5DZ9E936AE appears to be discontinued. Has anyone been able to locate one recently. Tousley Ford said they were discontinued when I ordered parts from them a few weeks ago. Searching for the part number on Team Ford brings up nothing, and even Google returns very few hits. The gasket RockAuto sells appears to be for the stock 2.5L UIM and TB. I suppose I could modify a stock gasket to work, but would rather have the correct gasket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry if this isn't the most intelligent question, but what engine size is the SVT LITE modification made for, the base 4 cyl, 2.5 or 3.0? And are these parts generally easy to get in North America? I live in Canada so locations in the states anywhere south of NY state is no good to me. All help is appreciated.

·
3L Install Maestro
7,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SVT TB Gasket F5DZ9E936AE appears to be discontinued. Has anyone been able to locate one recently. Tousley Ford said they were discontinued when I ordered parts from them a few weeks ago. Searching for the part number on Team Ford brings up nothing, and even Google returns very few hits. The gasket RockAuto sells appears to be for the stock 2.5L UIM and TB. I suppose I could modify a stock gasket to work, but would rather have the correct gasket.
Buy a 3L throttle body gasket. It will work. The only difference will be a port for the IAC on the 3L throttle body gasket but it won't matter. It will still seal fine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i just ordered one from advanced auto earlier today. asked for a 98 ford contour SVT Throttle body gasket, said it would be in tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Perhaps add that FelPro's # for the SVT TB is 61075.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Nothing as far as I can tell. The Felpro one I ordered is exactly the same as the one that Wade sent stuck to my SVT UIM, which I assume was a stock gasket.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
So I have the SVT intake on, but there seems to be a quite a bit of slack with my throttle cable, but it's an ATX. Should there be slack in the cable?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts