New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be getting an SVT LIM, but I just need a question answered. I noticed on SPMotorSports that the piece that bolts on to the top right side of the manifold that opens the butterflies says "SVT" on it, do I need that specific SVT 'bracket' or can I use the stock piece off my current LIM?

Mike

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
the only difference between SVT and stock is the size of the bore of the port, everything else is the same. how do i know? because i swapped my stock for an SVT:)

·
Registered
674 Posts
you could get a 3L LIM which is the same but you'll have to transfer your secondary mechanism from your 2.5 to your 3L....it's not that hard

·
Registered
587 Posts
While the car is parked this winter, I am going to installing my SVT upper and TB. While everyting is disassembled I want to check my lower. I am pretty sure that I have the smaller non-SVT lower, but I want to be sure, so that if I don't I can swap that in as well while everything is ripped apart.

What is are the dimensions of the openings on the non-SVT and SVT lower openings?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar
Well, if you have never changed the LIM to a SVT - then it is not an SVT. I am almost positive that the Cougar never came stock with SVT parts... Am I right?
wrong. Cougars with a return fuel system (99's) have a non-SVT lower

All other Cougars already have the SVT LIM

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Cougars made after 5/3/99 (the switch date for fuel systems), have the larger lower...simple enough...

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by: silverfrost99
While the car is parked this winter, I am going to installing my SVT upper and TB. While everyting is disassembled I want to check my lower. I am pretty sure that I have the smaller non-SVT lower, but I want to be sure, so that if I don't I can swap that in as well while everything is ripped apart.

What is are the dimensions of the openings on the non-SVT and SVT lower openings?
The size of the openings on the SVT LIM are 34/35mm and the size on the stock LIMs are 31/32mm

Mike

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
How can we be sure we dont get the early production SVT LIM that has 32mm/33mm bores on the LIM? Any way to tellthe difference between 32/33mm, and 34/35mm?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The big difference if you get the LIM from SPMotorsports is the injectors - if you don't have the 19 lb injectors (and you probably don't) then you need the wiring kit cause the stock injectors have a different connector. This involves wire splicing with soldering... the harness that the injectors are in is pretty big and connects many things. I just did mine a few weeks back and am still fixing the things I messed up - basically it came down to frying two of the O2 sensors with feedback in the wires before I got it right - now they have to be replaced.

My advice - get a shop to install it - otherwise you'll have to buy a number of specific tools (torque wrench, fuel line disconnectors come to mind) and the wiring harness is held in a pair of plastic guides that no longer fit once the new injectors are in... you have to cut it down or use somthing else, and it's hard to open without breaking.

Basically, unless you work on your car a lot, it's a tricky install - it was out of my league and have spent $320 so far on garage work to fix it (and I'm still going to blow another $200 probably). Electical systems are too damn complicated.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Only for cars with a return fuel system would you have that problem.

Like mine a 2000 (actually made in 99) made after 5/3/99 came with an SVT LIM
but I bought a new SVT LIM from BAT because it was new and came with injectors and fuel rail

I pulled the old one with old injectors and installed the new one. It was pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by: Blackcoog
Or you could just use your stock fuel rail with the new LIM and pick up some used 19lb return injectors from a mustang or a 98 SVT Contour like everyone else and not have to do any rewiring.
Yeah - although in hindsight - I would have spent the 110 bucks more on the new injectors Sp offers (used injectors would already have build up that you'd have to worry about getting clean) If you are only going to get 8 to 10 HP, don't lose any to dirty injectors.

And damn I wish this I had read this thread before going through all the crap I had to fix. Trust me - the a$$ munch at SP steered me in the direction of the wiring kit and made it sound real easy. Get the orange injectors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts