New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, well I am indeed putting an SVT Contour V6 into my focus. I was wondering what are the best exhaust headers to get (i have to get a new set, the junkyard didn't include them.) any site for performance or OE contour parts would also be a big help. if anyone is selling their stock flywheel or shifter from a manual rod shift (pre-98) that would be great too. sorry, I'm jumping thru about 3 different forums worth of topics, but this project is getting big and I can't afford for it to get out of hand, this is the daily driver we're talking about.

thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
MSDS for headers, but recognize that they are built for our subframe and unibody...They may not fit yours.
Whats the current status of the project?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,812 Posts
I would say, for all practical purposes, the Mk1 Focus K-frame cradle would occupy pretty much the same space as ours does in regards to interacting with the exhaust system, having owned both. Steering rack is in the same spot, too. Shouldn't be a concern.

MSDS is the only choice for headers. There are some eBay knock offs floating around here and there, but stick with the originals.

OE parts are plentiful through Rock Auto, but performance parts are a little harder to come by anymore, especially engine parts which unfortunately is exactly what you need. So you just have to get creative.

I worked with PRT Autosport to get a 70mm throttle body from an F-150 adapted to the SVT intake manifold on my 3.0. Otherwise the 58mm SVT throttle body is the best you can do.

Found a Mustang EGR block-off plate from John Smith Racing, direct fit.

Underdrive pulleys I got second-hand; they have been unobtanium for years.

Intakes are so simple, any eBay thing will be fine. Filters are universal.

Fuel injectors from a 3.0 are an easy swap - IF you're tuned for them; otherwise don't touch 'em.

I dunno; what else are you looking for? I just completed a 3.0 build with an SVT top end a couple of years ago, so my memory is still a little fresh.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Honestly, I think you need a whole donor car for this project. You will need the transaxle from the V6, then you will need the axles...then the hubs...then the knuckles...etc all the way up to the strut mounts.
Then there's the electronics including the PATS, the fuse boxes, the various modules, the PCM, the wiring, and probably even the gauge cluster. Some of this could probably be adapted but a transplant would be a lot less headache.
Needing a full donor doesn't have to be a show-stopper, rust is killing these cars left and right so it wouldn't be hard to find a good candidate for resurrection through body-swap. I'm positive in the long run this would be the most economical and timely plan, and most likely to result in success.

·
Super Moderator
22,336 Posts
its been quite a while but there are several of these running around, or at least were. Not a lot of information on them was ever posted here other than the occasional "look what i found" post. If i remember right there were some build threads on focus forums that explained it a bit more

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking the zetec uses a different bellhousing pattern? That might just be something somebody wrote once and may or may not be true...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts