New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone! Newbie alert here, but I am a regular at fordmondeo.org, since I drive one of these.
(RoadRunner in fordmondeo.org)

I have a set of SVT cams from a 98 model, which I was thinking of putting into my regualr duratec. I posted a seach on this topic, and found a few guys who were thinking about it.

Has anyone successfully done it? I was wondering as I did have a few doubts as to if it would work or not, and I sooo badly want to put them in.

Greatly apreciate any comments.

ps Cougars Rule!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
I'm not saying it's impossible, but doing this with the engine in the car is nearly impossible if not completely impossible because of the FEAD cover's clearance with the front sub-frame/passenger side fenderwell/firewall. Someone who has attempted/accomplished this, please chime in and correct me if I am wrong. As long as you are going to go through the trouble of pulling the engine, might as well do a 3.0/2.5L hybrid since the cams alone will only net you about 10-12hp, and that's with timing/fuel maps at SVT levels, which your stock ECU will not provide. Trust me, for the trouble, it's worth the hybrid or straight 3.0 with these cams installed into a massaged head (port/polish/valve job).

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
I have successfully pulled the timing cover and put it back on with engine in car. Yes it's hard, and yes it's VERY tight in there.

Since you need not pull the actual heads to do this, I would think pulling the motor overkill for work, especially if you haven't done it before. It can easily take 2-3 days of labour for an engine removal and re-installation, but you can pull the timing cover, change the cams, and re-time the engine in 1 days worth of work.

The hardest part is goint to be re-timing the engine while it's still in the car. Take your time and before you remove the old cams, mark EVERYTHING so re-timing it will be easier. Also note, that the the timing sprocket on the crank has 2 positions. Only 1 position will work so make sure you put it back on the same way it came off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Heres some more info....

I recently had the HG blow on me, so I already had the engine dropped and was going to put them in at that time (perfect).

However, I was a bit nervous about sticking them in, mainly because the garage (I dont have the tools, experience to do it myself, not to mention a spare car!) didnt feel comfortable putting them in. (plus that 98 SVT TSB regarding the timing marks was a bit dodgy)

While she was out, I got the heads ported/polished, and it goes much better now. I was planning originally to do the cam swap too, and afterwards get a custom chip burned.

Lots of guys where saying things like '3L' and I couldnt agree more, but in Ireland;

(1) We have no Taurus/Sables models
(2) We have Escapes and ST220, both with 3L, but they are too new for scrapped ones
(3) A brand new 2.5L would have set me back 5K Euros, so I can imagine that the 3L would have cost more

So basically, since we cant get the 3L cheap over here, believe it or not, its significantly cheaper in Ireland to get all that head work done. I even toyed with the idea of shipping one in from the US, but I think that would cost between 1-2k.

I had 3 days (ouch) labour bills from the Ford garage in removing and disassembling my engine, and putting it all back. So that wasnt cheap.

So I am still planning to put them in, just trying to figure out if someone else has already done it, and hoping they might have some pointers! Did all Couga's come with the SVT motor, or are most the 170bhp version?

Thanks guys

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
i don't think any cougar but the S prototype came with svt. from what i hear late 99 through 02 models had svt or same size LIM but nothing else. seems rather stupid if you ask me.........it all should have been done.

M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts