New Cougar Forum banner

Svt Cam Swap?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  JAKESTL 
#1 ·
Have a set of svt heads and cams lined up. I really don't want to install the Svt heads as is. How much of a pain is it going to be to put in the cams, is it a drop in, or do you have to dial in each one. Also, should I get a chip burned with these mods? Thanks for the help!:bowdown:

Jake

#2 ·
If you've never done cams before, I'd recommend getting professional help from someone who has.

It's a fun thing to do, but if you screw up, and/or connect the chain wrong in the end, you'll be bending valves and say bye bye engine.

You won't know you screwed up till you start it up...

#3 ·
Camshaft R&R is pretty simple though a bit tedious.

Attention to detail is paramount.

If you are doing that type of work I will take it for granted you have the factory service manuals already. If not; GET THEM.

They list step by step how to take them out and install them timed correctly. Unless of course your set is subject to the TSB.

Why would you not want to install the SVT heads? At the bare minimum it's an 98/98.5 set and has the Secondary ports Extrude Honed.

Yes you will definitely want a chip.

#4 ·
Chip, or an easier solution would be the SVT ECU itself, which is already tuned for the SVT cams. Works well with the hybrid!

I echo everyone else's concern with the job- It's tedious, you basically have to rip the entire front of the engine off, disengage the timing chains, replace the cams, and then put everything back together. And if you're one tooth off either chain, BOOM.

#5 ·
I have to agree with Demon, this is a somewhat tedious but completely doable job with the Ford tech CD which gives complete step by step instructions. Be sure to look at the TSB about the timing chains too though to make sure you don't have an incorrectly marked one.

However, for the pain it would be to do this work with the engine installed (plus the contamination factor), why not spend an extra $700, get a whole 3.0L engine, and do a complete swap over including the cams. You'll produce even more HP/TQ and the job will be much easier.

#6 ·
Originally posted by: mcon99
I have to agree with Demon, this is a somewhat tedious but completely doable job with the Ford tech CD which gives complete step by step instructions. Be sure to look at the TSB about the timing chains too though to make sure you don't have an incorrectly marked one.

However, for the pain it would be to do this work with the engine installed (plus the contamination factor), why not spend an extra $700, get a whole 3.0L engine, and do a complete swap over including the cams. You'll produce even more HP/TQ and the job will be much easier.

My thoughts exactly. :)

#7 ·
I want to do some porting and polishing on the svt heads before I get them in. However, I may just try to get qoutes on cam and heads installs. If it is not too much more. I will just do both. Is it worth P&P'ing the heads with my current single EH intake?

#8 ·
Originally posted by: JAKESTL
I want to do some porting and polishing on the svt heads before I get them in. However, I may just try to get qoutes on cam and heads installs. If it is not too much more. I will just do both. Is it worth P&P'ing the heads with my current single EH intake?
Why are you bothering to quote installs... do it yourself.... just quote the P&P

#9 ·
Be carfeful on porting your heads. Port matching gaskets is a BAD idea. We screwed up 2 sets before we found a cut that worked well. Now we actually have 4 cuts, NA, Supercharged, Turbocharged, and Nitrous. When were done there is a pile of metal under the bench but its hard to see what we cut! Sign a of a good PnP :)

#10 ·
Has anyone installed heads on an engine while it is is the bay? Now I' m thinking of looking for a 3L short block to strap them on. Should I throw on the 19# injectors if I do this swap? thanks for all the help and advice guys.

#11 ·
Originally posted by: mcon99
Why are you bothering to quote installs... do it yourself.... just quote the P&P
Did you get beat up by a mechanic as a kid? Not everyone has the space or the tools to do all of these jobs that you think anyone should be able to. Also, for some people, the time might not be worth it. I know for me, the time certainly wouldn't be worth it, nor do I have any place to work on my car in that capacity. Skilled mechanics serve a good purpose. If installing heads were that easy, everyone else in the world would have done it themselves, and no on would ever ask this question.

#12 ·
Thanks BC, like DanG said, I do not want to here BOOM! Then I will be getting a 3L. I want to make sure everything is done properly, and until I am versed in that type of automotive skills, I won't put the total investment at stake. Thanks again for all the help.

jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.