New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed down my suspension problem to the passenger side rear wheel. Whenever I go over a bump I get a squeak (metal on metal sound). Is it possible the air in my shock on that side somehow went away? It also doesn’t do it when it rains. Any thoughts on the possible problem would help, I don’t care if I have to replace the entire suspension on that side I just want it to go away. By the way I have had it too 3 different mechanics and none of them hear it during a road test mostly it is because of the fact that the car has to be going 20 or under to make the noise.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No but seriously.. do you still have your trunk cover? Check that, mine made a squeek, and I thought it was suspension too and my friend (who was in the rear passenger side thought it was too). I tightened the "Cables" for the trunk cover, and everything was fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check that but I'm almost positive it is suspention only because I can hear it outside of the car.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had this problem a little while back on my 2000. There was a squeek that only happened in the rear at low speeds. The dealer figured out it was the sway bar, sway bar links, and bushings that needed to be replaced. After replacing under warranty, no more squeeks. They said it seems to be a fairly common problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had all that replaced. I went with out the car for a week, when I got it back all the problems I had before I took it in are still there. It sucks everywhere I go cannot replicate the problem and there is never a speed bump around when you need one, if they drove it over one of them they would hear it in a second.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
that's what would of been squeaking... the bushings on the sway bar... that's what i thought it was too... besides that i would say sit someone in the trunk with the seats lowered and replicate it... have them try to pinpoint where in the strut tower it is coming from... that might help some

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.