New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a decent quality set of 1999-2000 Rear Struts mounts and seats, for my 02.

Name a price.

·
Registered
867 Posts
You can buy 2000 struts and mounts for a little over $100+ shipping at Rock Auto right now thanks to a wholesaler clear out. Not sure why you would buy used.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
He's looking for mounts and seats. He probably read that he needs them for lowering his '02.
Do the 99/00 seats come with the mounts new in box?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm pretty sure you replace the strut and the upper mount with 2000 year model units and like I said those 2 components can be had for a little over $100 brand new. Then you just need springs. But the only reason I could see anyone doing this is because they have lowering springs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear mounts can be bought on RockAuto, yes, but I can not find the spring seats. I wanna do mad cornering:(

·
Registered
867 Posts
Im not sure what your referring to as the spring seat. But you can buy the whole strut and the whole top mount. Then as far as i can see all you need is lowering springs. I thought everything else stayed the same between 2000 and 2001 cougars.

Call me crazy I'm not sure what more you need other than these 2 items and a lowering spring.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
The spring seat sits on the strut mount, you can see it here in the strut how-to

I hate to say it, but it might be that the easiest way to get the seats will be to buy a set of quick struts and tear them down, keep them as spare parts. Since you want mounts anyway it brings the seat price down to about $50 and you get bellows and jounce bumpers.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've done this 2 or 3 times and guess I never paid attention to the fact that it was a separate part. Good call. It's crazy that it's discontinued and there are no aftermarket equivalents.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgive me, mmc757. but which of those is the spring seat "F5RZ 5793 A". I'm just going off the suspension FAQ in the forum. Seems to me what I am looking for is, more or less, a round metal ring, whereas the mount is more oval? With 3 holes forming a triangle if you were to draw some lines. I've put in a pull request on Row52, maybe they can get me it.

Maybe this is a sign I should just save for a 92-96 vette.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
It's been ten years, but I'm fairly certain the spring seat is integral with the mount. Or at least fitted into it off the line. I could be mistaken but I dont see anything in the above diagrams or photos to convince me that I am.

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
The spring seat is a separate piece, but it usually sticks inside the mount so it seems like it’s all one piece. But yeah, it’s separate.

Chances are, if you got a top strut mount assembly from Row52, they would not even realize the spring seat was not part of it and world send both parts, assuming it was one part.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Do they have any pull a parts near you? They are usually pretty awesome for this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thinking about it you should pm Jaged. He has a cougar "problem" and I'd guess he might have something laying around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts