New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
From what I've learned, getting a performance chip (superchip, diablo, whatever) isn't useful on these cars until you mod them. Meaning, get all the bolt ons and any other power adders, and thne get a custom programmed chip. Either way, a chip doesn't reall add hp as people think. It shoud, if done correctly, match the A/F mixture, ignition, etc and make the car optimal for performance, therefore gaing max power from the mods you have added.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
What I think pgtatx was tryin to get across is that your chip should be the last mod you do.. reason being it you get a custom burn, it will only maximize the efficienct of the car with that setup.. change anything and you will dot be at your peak performance given your mods. If the intake and exhaust is all you are gonna do then go for it.. how much of a diff will it make? I dunno.. I have a while before I get my chip

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm just going to forget about the chip entirely and just concentrate on doing the more traditional mods. Wait for a complete PCM replacement. BAT is developing a complete PCM computer replacements. I know a few people in Portugal that replaced the stock Bosch computer on their VWs with a complete computer replacement from Motec that can easily be programmed and remapped with a laptop during a dyno session. Way better than a chip that just overides the stock computer. A PCM also isn't one dimensional like a chip. It can automatically adjust the engine's dynamics based on readings from the various input sensors.

http://www.batinc.net

G

·
I met a guy this week who has a shop in Jackson, MI and deals with both OEMs and weekend racers. He also can programs chips. You guys nailed exactly what he said. OEMs are tuning their engine very well. About the only thing he could do is optimize for premium fuel, if not already done. However, he did say that doing this after extensive intake/exhaust mods will certainly help.

So as already mentioned, the chip is last. You'll custom burn it for a couple mods and gain 2 Hp maybe. Then you'll be disappointed and go balistic on mods changing engine behaviour. You'r chip stays the same and won't be optimized again.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I spoke to that dude in jackson too... mom and pops shop right? Told me the same thing... my car wont see a chip until its done... and then it still wont be a chip... people STILL dont understand that the chip is completely NON LEARNING. Its set to one setting and thats it.. its a reprogram or nothing... Id give anything to be able to plug into a eec-v with a laptop and some software and change values of constants as i pleased.... oh wow the posibilities...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.