New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the story, I bought new Ford Racing wires and NGK Iridium 55IX (Is that right?) I cleaned the uim and lim while I had the upper off and now when I start the car there is a loud, really loud, clanking noise coming from the left rear side of the engine (might be under the valve cover) I double checked the wiring, took the plugs out and re inserted them (they already had black residue on them and I hadn't even driven anywhere) still had the noise so I took everything of again and took of the valve covers but everything looks okay but I don't know what I would be looking for. Any ideas? I'm startin to get a little pi**ed. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
did you compare the NGK's to your stockies? they might be longer and are tapping on the piston.

ugh, perish the thought

·
Registered
674 Posts
Did you clean the LIM while it was on there car? I should hope not. There could be all that gunk on the top of your piston, that doesn't explin the noise though......When I did my LIM this past weekend I about **** and pissed myself when i thought I droped a socket down there.....but was really just under the LIM. Hopefully you didn't mannage to loose something down there, b/c that could be a source of a noise. Weird

·
Registered
674 Posts
LMAO :rofl: I was thinking it was a good excuse for a 3.0.

Realisticly buy a magnetic pickup and try to stick it down there.....you're gonna get stuck to everything but might luck out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I found the problem. My friend brought a scope and after looking at my heads we figured out that I dropped a bolt in the manifold(I have no idea how I knocked a bolt in there since I had all of them off to the side on my bench) anyway I'm getting an SVT engine so out of something bad I guess there is something good. Although I'm not real happy about the $ and the time without my car :cry::confused:

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey i got my car in november and at first it was running real good. but next thing u know the engine starts ticking. then everytime i cut on the engine it makes it then, when i accelerate i makes it then when i let go it make it too. im jus wonderin what the problem is

·
Registered
674 Posts
Does your starter "hang" when you first start the car, my noise was because of a partialy stuck starter solenoid. How loud is this noise. If it sound like a metal on metal you could have a bad problem. If it sounds like a tick tick tick (like a watch) it could just be a small issue with your belts. I believe valves can click......It could also be a small hole in your exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
102 Posts
well the starter dont hang, but it sounds like a penny hit medal when i rev it up or even at a stop position. well everyone i know said its a valve or a lifter or piston. but i used the lifter quite and that didnt work so its either th piston or the valve

·
Registered
102 Posts
and ive been drivin it for the last 1000 miles with no faults except that

·
Registered
282 Posts
Man, metal on metal sound is definitely #2 on the "Not so good to hear when pushing the pedal" list. (#1 being nothing at all followed by "Why isn't my car going anywhere?") Is the sound repetitive, or just when you start accelerating, or what?

·
Registered
102 Posts
well i went to the ford dealership and the lady was like a rattlin and clickin but she said its still drivable but i guess i will find out what it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts