New Cougar Forum banner

Sun Roof?!

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  My kittie goes ROAR 
#1 ·
Hey Guys....I recently bought my cougar and while i was at the dealership i noticed the sunroof tilted but did not open....The shop manager said it wasen't suposed to open it just tilted. So...before my warenty runs out is it suposed to open all the way or just tilt up?! I have to go back there today so if anyone could help asap that would be awsome!!! BTW it's a 2002....Thank!

#4 ·
So after reading this I went out to my car and found out mine opens. Sun of a *****! I've been driving this car since April and when I press the button you head the motor spin and after a second stop. Then press it again it spins for like 3 seconds and then the sunroof opens like a vent. In order to open the sunroof currently I have to manually slide it backwards, trying to figure out whats wrong but its 1:43am here, it's a little dark so I'll see tomorrow.

#5 ·
Ya spriggan thats how it normally works. The 1st press just elevates it and puts it in the vent position. The 2nd press should then move it back. Sounds like some gear is not engaging or the thing is broken.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Ya if your lucky you can find a totaled cougar in the junkyard with metal tracks... as long as it didnt flip, which is pretty rare, it should be fine and cost you alot less than that.

#12 ·
Don't dealer give out certain warrenty's like power-train; motor etc.. Or is it all just included in the warrenty. I never bought from a dealer so I wouldn't know. I bought my kittie from this girl who babied it out in west, pa BUT she never changed the plugs, wires, tranny fluid nothing just oil. and when i bought her it was about at 68k. im at 99k now ALMOST 100k can't wait for that day. and ya know what for being at 99k she starts right up idle's perfect. no weird sounds in the motor. steering is perfect, brakes excellent. :knocks on wood: but when i hit the 100k im gonna buy her a full detail and change all the fluids from top to bottom new brakes and rotors the whole works.

#13 ·
the new car warranty covered anything that was wrong, besides damage you coulda done (hence the phrase "bumper to bumper").
I've not purchased a used car from a dealer, but believe most, unless it was sold as-is, would have something similar for a short time... and since KFurtado mentioned he wanted to find out the deal before his warranty expired, I assume that is the case with his.

#14 ·
Sigh... well from looking at it, the track is actually broken from the actual sliding piece. So the motor is good, but the track needs to be replaced/repaired. I'm pretty sure it won't work but before I spend a ton of money on new plastic tracks, I'm gonna try some industrial glue or something that binds plastic. It's worth a shot especially if it works.

#16 ·
go to a metal bending place or something grab the old tracks that are on there throw away the broken one ask them to make 2 exact replica's of the good one. and after that throw away or sell the old plastic one and replace it with the new metal ones? just a easy non expensive way to do it i suppose. any idea is a good idea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.