New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is this to do (move battery to the trunk) and is there a how-to with pictures available??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
kits can be a rip off... be careful. compare the price by checking out the price of the seperate components

battery (yellow or red top or dry cell)
case or fixture for batterty (try marina supply store)
2 or 0 gauge wire w/ lugs
two 150a fuses with cases
assorted screws, bolts, electrical tape

thats all you need

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Fuses will not work. A circuit breaker is your best bet. I have a 150Amp circuit breaker up front and it has worked great of more then a year. I also have a 200Amp inline fuse that blows every 6 months. When the car is off it has no current running through the wire so when you start it current is instantly sent to the starter so there is a massive spike in current running through the wire. There may be less than 200Amps running through the wire at a constant rate but not exatly at startup. Get a circuit breaker or some kind of slow blow fuse that won't blow until heated up.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i've been using a 150a fuse up front and another 150a fuse at the back for my positive power feed and i've never blown a fuse...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
a 200 amp circuit breaker should be adequate, right? i'm not running any amps yet but will eventually. nothing that is out of the ordinary as far as current draw is concerned.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What kind of place would I need to go to get a circuit breaker like this? Will a regular household circuit breaker work, or is there a different kind more suitable for automotive electrical systems? Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So does anyone actually have a write up on this how to? Im wondering whats involved with getting it to the trunk? Please let me know as soon as you can Thanks

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Since you have ATX its easier, there is a hole with rubber grommit next to the brake pedal. You'll just run the power wire through that, under your cars carpetting, under the rear seat into the trunk into the battery. I'm planning on moving my battery into the trunk either this weekend or next, and I'll take some pics for you if you want.

Did you guys put the circuit breaker in the engine bay or trunk? Also is 150A enough or should I get a 200A? I already have a Red Top Optima.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
i'm getting 1/0 cable but after looking at the 1/0 grommet i have, i have no drill bit big enough for that so i may just run the cable outside the car then drill the floor in the trunk to pull the cable.. of course, ensuring i am away from the fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
how to??? running the wire is pretty easy. from the back passenger side of the trunk, to the back of the back seats, across the back of the seats to the drivers side, underneath rear panel towards front of car, then under door panel on drivers side, then up into the under dash area under door release piece.

i just drilled a new hole in the firewall.

you need a fuse or circuit breaker in both the trunk close to the positive lead off the battery and under the hood for maximum protection.
fuses only on the positive, negatives just go to the frame.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am pretty stupid with these stuff so please help me out here ^.^
What is the purpose for fuse or circuit breaker ?
How do they hook up to the battery?
Can someone post up some pictures?
Most battery relocation kit don't come with fuse or circuit breaker so where should i get one and which is the best?
The stock battery in the engine bay doesn't have fuse or circuit breaker so why do we need them when relocating the battery to the trunk?

Thank you,
Cammy

·
Registered
45 Posts
this doesn't make any sense, If the setup in your trunk is going to be the same as it currently is in engine bay, ( besides the longer cable) why do you need circuit breakers or even fuses for that matter?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
When adding fuses or circuit breakers, you have to remember that there is a serious amount of amperage going to the battery, and being pulled from it. If a wire should get 'tapped' or stripped somewhere between the engine bay and the trunk, wouldn't you rather a breaker trip, or a fuse blow, or your car spark and go up in flames? It's all about safety.

You take the positive line and run it (with the breaker/fuse) to the trunk, take the existing negative/ground and ground it under the hood somewhere. Then ground the battery in the trunk, and reconnect it with the positive line you have run. It's a very easy relocation, with about 30 minutes required from start to finish.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
If you want a clean appearance, then you can use a distribution block to split the positive/powered lines to the necessary locations (starter, neons/lighting, etc). Anything that is designed with safety in mind is probably a good idea to have installed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.