New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to redo my headliner in suede and I was wondering if anyone else has done the same. The suede fabric is expensive so I would like to know if anyone can give me a lead on measurements so I don't overpurchase the material. Any help would be appreciated.

S

·
0 Posts
Crispy has recovered her headliner, you might want to pm her. My best suggestion (have never done it though, be warned) would be to take down the stock headliner and measure it. Make sure you add a couple inches to each dimension to allow you to wrap it around before adhering the new fabric over the old. Also, don't know if you are refering to actual leather suede or simply a sueded cloth like ultrasuede, but you will want to consider the weight of said fabric, the strength of spray adhesive and whether or not the finished product will suffer from sag due to overheavy new apolstry material. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
i wanna say i used 2 yards.......and had about 1/2 yard left over

its not real suede but it has the same feel and look and only cost 6$ a yard!

those sparkles in the pic arent dirt even thoug it looks like it..it has silver flakes in the material that were reflected by the flash

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I used Ultrasuede and the fabric was $50.00 a yard.. I bought 3 yards for the door panels and 2 and a 1/2 for the headliner. you will need to find some that is wide enough - keep that in mind. and if you don't have a sunroof you might be able to get away with using 2 yards. - also with Ultrasuede you basically have 1 shot on getting everything correct and if you get any glue on the fabric it will stain it.

S

·
0 Posts
I used 21/2yrds to do headliner and rear rack.....and then took about 2 or 3 i cant remember to do door panels and rear panels the same way as the headliner
pictures also to come of door panels and painted trim, dash, and console

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
raven i love that spiderman thing you got goin on there ...you almost done with it?i would love to put it in my car..hehehe...you theming your car out like that?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the info. Crispy, how wide does the material need to be? The fabric I'm looking at is $65 a yard. This looks like a $300-$400 venture!

B

·
0 Posts
Most standard fabrics come in a 44/45" width or a 52" width. If you do suede straight from the cow.....it depends on the cow and the girth of it. if you get 52" fabric and lay it out right you should be able to get away with 1.5-2 yards. Also instead of suede you could use doe skin or synthetic suede and you'll save yourself some money.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking to use ultrasuede or nova suede. The widths they come in are as wide as 55" and 59". Does anyone know how wide of a width I would need to purchase?

Crispy- Do you have a pic of your headliner? What color did you go with? I'm toying with grey but I want to see other headliner colors before I choose.

B

·
0 Posts
With the #'s you've posted 2 yds should be just enough but 2.5 yds would give you 'oops' room. You really can't choose the width of the fabric you need (its pre-determined by the manufacturer) but rather you're choosing the length.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I think I went 48 inches wide - not sure.. my headliner is black with a red and black cougar head on the sunroof panel that I did myself..... :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
You guys are costing me money, each time you come up with a good idea I go out and buy it. :)

Well I passed by a JONAN Fabric store today and I decided to take a look. I end up walking out of there with $60 bucks worth of fabric. I purchased their %100 Polyester fake suede, cost $13 a yard with a 60“ width. I was going to purchase 5 yards but it was right at the end of the roll so he said the fabric cutter person said they’d give me a discount if I purchased the rest. He marked me for 6 yards and took $20 off, so I actually saved money. I think there is about 7 yards I got though, very good deal. It is blue, I figure with the extra material I will do the trunk. I went to Home Depot to purchase some spray adhesive, I got 3M 90 adhesive ($13), the strongest they had.

Note: the color is a little darker thain pictured.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I used the 3M 90 before with crappy ass results... same with all the other 3M products... best stuff I found so far is carpet/headliner adhesive I found at my local Farm & Fleet.. its in an orange can with a blue cap and blue writing... worked the best on the doors and headliner..

FYI I have recovered my shizz 3 times on the doors and 2 on the headliner...

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I'll take a look at the can that I have at home after work.. I bought some for Carchk7 and delivered at CF 2002 - she said it was the best stuff she ever used as well.. my faith has been lost on all 3M adhesives

S

·
0 Posts
I used 3m spray adhesive made just for headliners and it worked great. Even doing the design in it. :) I got it at a body shop supply store here in bham.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
i used the 3M 90 also

my headliner is just fine...but my door panels are starting to pull apart. but i was ready for a change anyhow so i was going to redo them anyway

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got sick of waiting :) lol so I did 30 min of searching and found it. Its made by Permatex (pic below). Autozone sells it so I'll stop off there tomorow to pick some up. Its actualy cheeper thain the 3m stuff, only $9 a can. How much do I need? Will one can do it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts