New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i used to have a pair of 12's in my trunk that i sold off.. they got some scrapes and stuff from ebing in my trunk... i didn't really care becuase they were cheaper and like i said i sold them and never really planned on keeping them taht long...

So now i bought a nice new single 12 it is mounted in a nice clean sealed box. but it is a box that i don't have any way to install yoru standard grill on... plus i thik standar grills over subs look like poo...

but i want this thing protected since it is a nicer sub and i plan on keeping it around for a good long time since i shoudl have the output i want and the reliabilty to hit for years... i thought baout doing somethign with plex over the top but i don't knwo does ANYONE have an idea preferably with picture of somethign i can do to protect my new baby from getting all scratched up...?

i am not worried abotu the cone breaking or anythign since it is solid as a rock but i don't wanna scratch up the nice brushed looking metal surface....

please someone help and yes i do use my trunk all the time and the car is a daily driver so it has to be in a plain box and be practical...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
There are chrome covers from Fishman audio and the Kicker grills are nice, but other than that, nothing really out there to protect the speaker. Unless...once I made a plexiglass cover for a boat enclosure to keep ski's and stuff from flying into the cone. It was just the same as a common grill, round, 10" and small spacers made out of plastic dowels to keep it off the speaker. It made the bass sound a little muffled, but it still hit hard.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the way the box is build none of the kicker or momo or anythign grilles would work. they would over hang the edge of the box that is my problem... myabe i will just mount it somehow so that the fac of the sub is away from danger...

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't want to mount facing up or down or anytihg because it should have the best sound if i mount it with teh magnet side facing the fron t of the car...

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
maybe it would help us give some suggestions if there were pics? im having a hard time picturing this setup you have goin on....

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can describe it to you if that will help at all? i was going to draw a picture but i guess my versioun of OFfice XP didn't come with Paint , and i am at school with no digicam so i can't take a pictue re of it...
ALL MESSUREMENTS IN FEET
but lets say the box is 1.125feetx1.125feetx1.125feet
so yoru basic cube the face has my diamond sub sitting nicely in it but the face that the sub screws to is recessed about 3/4 inch below the furthest forward end of the box and the sub rim basicly touchecs the raised lip on each side.. the panel it is attatched to is fully recessed to that 3/4 in and is chromed i knwo this is probably useless but i can draw you a picture tomorrow mornign first thing when i get to work (gotta love the job of doing absolutly nothing worht while and wasting your companies money by every second you work there)

but the reason those grilles won't fit is because the outer demension fo the box is so small( it is exactlt a 1 cubic foot box on the inside) and becuase that raised lip revents the grill from sitting down onto the chrome panel the sub mounts to

1 - 7 of 7 Posts