New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Does anyone got any good layout ideas for 3 12" subs and 2 1200 watt amps and not in fiberglass, in wood and carpet and kinda not all the hatch :tongue:
NO.lol The only set up I have seen with 3 subs that were all wood was some members on here that was in the shape of JL. I think they were 10's and it took up the whole trunk.

· Premium Member
6,238 Posts
so you want....or don't want....them all in the back seat?

I was thinking one sub on either side of the trunk, then one in the spare tire well. that way you can still put things back there. Mount the amps on the back of the seats.

When I say subs on the sides, I'm referring to a similar style to CTWII had.

if you are looking to put them in the back seat area, ND4SPD had a wood box that held 4.

EDIT: Kinda like this....but a sub similar to the left on the right side, and one where the cougar head is.

· w00t!
25,017 Posts
yep! Lots of room in the cougar if you take out the backseats! :biggrin:
As Dan said - I had all 4 subs, and 3 amps back there. And the whole trunk was essentially 'stock' cept for the battery and some small things I relocated back there.

· Registered
314 Posts
just curious, how are 2 identical amps gonna powers 3 subs? I can't picture the wiring in my head. Isn't that two 600 watt left channels and two 600 watt right or 2 1200 watt bridged mono channels? And every amp manual I've ever seen says not to hook two or more subs up in parallel cuz it won't work at all. Anyway, I'd strongly recommend not building your own box with 3 cuz the engineering of it has to be within like 1/8" to sound right and the calculations would be really difficult. There are triple ones being sold that are pretty decent. There are some cool looking and sounding curved ones (like jagged, not smooth curved). Everyone says that subwoofer frequencies aren't directional but that's completely not true. Human ears can't discern which direction the frequencies are coming from but in general if you point the sub at something, it's slightly louder than if it's pointing away. So yeah curving it spreads the sound out so it's louder in more directions. Also you gotta choose between sealed and ported. Sealed sub notes typically sound shorter but they sound like they're coming from behind a sealed box lol. And ported notes sound crisper but last a hair longer than the music naturally would have it. Also if there's even one tiny little leak in a sealed box like one screw hole being loose, you get a major distortion noise coming from the air escaping. It's not actually distorting, it just sounds exactly like it. I had to gorilla glue ALL OVER my sealed subs because there were 9 leaks. But after that it was great lol. Ported can also focus the sound in one direction more than sealed ones which tend to send it more everywhere.
Okay back to the Packer game. GO PACKERS! WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

· Premium Member
3,295 Posts
And every amp manual I've ever seen says not to hook two or more subs up in parallel cuz it won't work at all.
Almost every car amp I have used works fine being run in parallel what you have to look at is that you are presenting the right load to the amp, there are usually different power ratings for 4ohm 2 ohm etc. my amp actually is advertised to automatically sense load and put out the same power regardless stable to 1ohm

btw: i think the setup pictured would look great with the 3rd sub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.