New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just bought the car and it has 60,000 miles on it. Well it runs great but for some reason it will stutter when going around a curve (like an off ramp or sharp turn) but only in 2nd gear.

Could this be the traction control kicking in because it has been wet out and I think the tires may have been slipping but it also did it when it was dry out too.

the car didn't come with an owners manual so not sure if this is normal...I just figured out the wrench and snow flake symbols. Would this be a symptom of a burnt out fuel pump my buddies contour had simular problems when his pump went out (Stupid ford K pumps)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I take it you have an MTX. I have the ATX (automatic trans) & I just had to have it rebuilt ( under warranty thank God). Also they replaced the fuel pump and cleaned out the gas tank. I would say you probably have the fuel pump problem which is very common. You can search for a how-to if you want to try to replace it yourself. If you get it done at a shop it will probably be about $200.00 - $300.00. The dealer told me it was bad gas in the tank but it was covered under my extended service plan. I think they always use that excuse because this is the first car I've ever had that problem with.
Welcome to NECO, this is the best source of info on our cars & the people here are really helpful. By the way you can also search on here for the owner's manual,it's available for download as a PDF file.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the extended warranty when I bought the car, so it should be covered.

It was just a little embarrasing when I was racing my buddies v-6 stang, and my car started shaking and stalling in 2nd.... he just thought I couldn't shift

thanks for the help and the welcome

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.