New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have no clue what these are called so i couldnt search for them. But basically i need to konw how to remove the stripe thats on the side of the coug. its white and goes completely front to back. Reason im asking is coz i came to thinking.. if i get z3 fenders.. there wont be astripe there.

thanks

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sure..

basically.. i didn't want these stripes but when i got the car.. this is the one they had.. it was take it with it or wait another week till they found a coug with my specs W/OUT the stripes.

G

·
oh... pinstriping... eww... hmmm...

Good Luck!!!!

Actually, if you're going to get a shop to paint and mount the fenders, they can take it off easily (for a price, of course). Otherwise, you might want to try the technique for removing the lettering from the rear... hair drier and fishing line (remove lettering)

·
Registered
367 Posts
wow, that's the first time i've seen that on a cougar. it came like that from the dealer? :banana:

you could also try soaking it with WD-40 or similar lubricant instead of the hairdryer. that's how i removed my badges.

goodluck dude!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<sigh> yea thats how it came from the dealer.

G

·
Just a quick warning...I used to have a luxurious Ford Tempo, and it had the beautiful pinstripes. (I am sure we paid extra for them...) Anyway...One day I was washing my beauty with our power washer. It started to take the pinstripe off, and when the car was wet it looked like it was coming off without a problem. I tried taking all of it off, but it wouldn't take about half of it off. When it dried, the parts that were now missing the pinstripe turned a dark brown/black color.

Since it was on the Tempo, I didn't mind. But if it were my cougar, I would probably have made a poopie in my pants. Just a thought. The car was a 93, so maybe things have changed by now. Just wanted to let you know.

Take it easy.

G

·
Since the Z3s are causing the problems, test everything out on the front fenders first. This way, if you mess up or a technique doesn't work, you really ain't loosing anything...

Just a thought.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
my car had a pinstripe and so have many other members cars.... bust out a hair dryer and heat it up a little... start peeling... its gonna come off in chunks cuz you are gonna work a section at a time... once you peel it all off grab a rag with some 3M Vinyl and Adhesive Remover and your residue will be gone in minutes with no actual hard labor.. Plus its safe for paint... I removed mine then sprayed some detailer over it and I have no line difference or anything.. all you need is a little patience and the right tools/products

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow thanks crispy! do you think goo gone would work?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
peeling... its gonna come off in chunks cuz you are gonna work a section at a time... once you peel it all off grab a rag with some 3M Vinyl and Adhesive Remover and your residue will be gone in minutes with no actual hard labor.. Plus its safe for paint... I removed mine then sprayed some detailer over it and I have no line difference or anything.. all you need is a little patience and the right tools/products
that's how i got mine off.....but i didn't use the hairdryer. i just pulled and it came off. then i used the 3M adhesive remover to get the sticky crap off. i think goo gone should work also, just be sure that it won't hurt the paint.

as for pinstriping, what i understand is that it is a dealer option. the dealer puts in on...it doesn't get put on at the factory.

good luck!

G

·
I know bug and tar remover took off the dealer logo *residue* off the back of my cat. The rest was just peel and eat.. er throw away. If all else fails, borrow a heat gun - my former Y2k1 honda had pin stripes - I made the dealer take those fugly things off before I would take the car.

G

·
It took myself, my salesman, and the kid who was detailing the car for me when I bought it about a half hour to remove the pinstripes. Mine must have been recently put on because although they are a pain to get off, they didnt leave any lines. Just be patient with them and they will come off. Grow a couple of fingernails in the meantime to make your job easier. :)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I definately recommend the 3M Vinyl and Adhesive Remover... its great... no rubbing or anything... just a simple wipe and its off... All my experiences with Goo Gone or WD40 have been me bustin some severe elbow grease so I pitched it all and invested in more of the 3M goodness.... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts