New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stupid noob question

I am going to get super flamed for this but here it goes.......I ordered some hood pins...how do they work/install...do I still keep the stock latch?? Don't burn me too bad for this guys

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Originally posted by: whitecoug99
I would hate to be going 120 and find out that it didn't hold.
[censored], I'd hate to be going 60 and find out it didn't.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Its not about weather it held once even at high speed, its about how with constant vibration it will hold up. With a metal hood that has the latch parts BOLTED or WELDED on it should hold up. But with a CF of fiberglass that hood is basically glued or bonded to the latch ... how that will hold up over time is questionable. Now i totally agree i hate the look of hood pins but the way they work well with either type of aftermarket hood. The fender washers on top the hood give the pins alot of surface area to pull on. Its just a good idea to put them on unless you want to risk a broken windshield.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
....and losing a $300+ hood on top of the windshield.

I remember someone, can't remember who, was talking about getting pins, and the night before he was gonna get them his CF hood pulled off and it was destroyed, along with his windshield. I believe it messed up his roof pretty bad too.

If you're talking about an OEM hood, you don't need them. But if you got a fiberglass (and DEFINITALY a Carbon Fiber) hood, go ahead and spend the $20 to save you over $500 in case that latch fails.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I've been without a stock latch for over 2 years now -- my Momo pins have held great.. no problems at ANY speed... just make sure to latch them every single time you open your hood and when your parked somewhere take a glance to make sure that no one played with them in your absense.

the good thing about our car is that if anyone opens the hood even without the stock latch while your doors are locked the alarm will go off.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
The question should not be whether you like the look of them or not. The question should be, "Is it worth the risk?"

If you're talking something like the Kammy hood, then you're talking an $850 hood, plus a $250 windshield, plus a few THOUSAND in damages when it hits the roof, blows the pillars outta whack, and destroys the upper console inside the car. You can say you're has held fine forever, and you're happy with it, just remember it only takes one solid bump to knock the latch outta whack, and the hood to pop. Or, if the cable breaks free, or if the fiberglass cracks where it holds the latch. Too many variables can cause it to pop, and once its popped, it WILL blow up, there is no question about that. I was only doing 45mph:

Why people wouldn't put on hoodpins in beyond me, especially after seeing what damage it will cause, even at slow speeds.

E1

·
Premium Member
16,842 Posts
Mine should be getting put on next week..It already feels like the latch is loosening :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.