New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here with a little problem :(

I have a 1999 6 speed automatic and sometimes these two seemingly unrelated problems happen simultaneuously. My A/C will turn off (no power) and when I shift to "Park" I won't be able to get it out of park. I can use the override to get going on the road again, but I've called a Mercury service dealership and they didn't seem to think the two problems could be related. This has happened 3 times now, and they always happen together.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Basically, I need to know if this is something I can fix, or if I take it in, I'd like to be able to educate them on what they need to be looking for.

One of the problems is sometimes everything runs fine. So if I take it in, and they can't reproduce the problem, then they won't fix it.

I appreciate any information you have to offer.

- Eric

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Stuck in P sounds like possible stoplamp switch failure. How that would tie into the AC, I have no idea.

Could the WOT relay be connected to the shift solenoid? That is the only thing I can think of that might make the two issues related, if the WOT relay fails, maybe it has something to do with the shift solenoid not releasing.

I take it you meant v6 automatic, not 6 speed auto.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
yes i agree. check your fuses located on the drivers side under the dash. I forget which one they are but i believe the one ur looking for is a blue 15 amp fuse. If i remember correctly its located on the top in the middle, there should be 2 blues next to eachother. You need to check the one on the right. that should be the fuse for the stoplamp. It could be a loose fuse or a loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'll check into the fuses first. What is WOT? I'm hoping it's something as simple as a loose fuse, because a loose connection "somewhere" sounds like quite the hunt.

Originally posted by: Fett
I take it you meant v6 automatic, not 6 speed auto.
Yes, sorry, you are correct
:)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
WOT= Wide Open Throttle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, mond :)

I haven't had a chance to check fuses yet. I'll be sure to update this thread if I get this fixed.

-Eric

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
99cougarNY,

These are the two Blue 15s according to the manual:
#23 15 blue:
Turn signal lamps, backup lamps, speed control, bulb outable module, gearshift lever, A/C clutch, blower motor

#24 15 blue
Stop lamp, speed control

So it would seem as though the curcut through #23 might be the problem. Both fuses seems well-seated and neither are blown. When this problem occurs, I still have my brake lights. Like I said, it comes and goes, so a loose connection "somewhere" or a short seems more the culprit. I'll probably just have to take it in.
:(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, it has to be that #23 fuse circuit... turn signals stop working too. It went out today while I was driving and I reached down and jiggled the fuse box and the A/C came back on. Is it too big of a project to take that stuff apart a look for any loose connections?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.