New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in getting eibach springs for my coog. does anyone know how often I will need to change the struts? What is the wear and tear on the struts after a car has been lowered, as compared to not? I am worried that I will be replacing struts waaaay too often.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An inch and a half is mild? Any lowering springs will reduce the life of the struts. I think depending on the drop, you can expect to cut about 20K off the life of the struts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eibachs on for ~15K now and no problems nor signs of any problems. As the Eibach site says, they were designed to work with the stock struts....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to see where this "designed to work with stock struts" quote keeps coming from... I can't find it on the Eibach site and I suspect it's referring to you not needing to buy new struts in order to fit the springs as opposed to some magically property of the Eibachs to prevent premature strut wear

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the actual strut design allows them to ride higher into the cylinder up to an additional 1.5 inches. this is why the eibachs only lower it about an 1.3 inches. the strut can handle that much lower in the cylinder without causing them to prematurely wear out. anymore and you could blow the strut.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you're saying it's a function of the diameter of the eibach springs? Someone's going to have to draw me a diagram

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this has nothing to doi with the Eibach or any kind of spring. the STRUT design allows them to ride farther up into the cylinder without damage, when you lower the car, the rod travels farther up the strut cylinder increasing the pressure inside the gas strut. The strut is under a low pressure and can handle up to 1.5 inches higher into the strut without damage. get it yet kimosabe?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
also they are progressive rate meaning they will be soft at first and with more force they will become stiffer. during hard driving they are not putting a beating on the strut as a full out road race spring would.

eibach pro kits are designed to replace the oem spring

when you get into the sportline kits you would want to upgrade to a high end strut as the springs would contsantly beat on the strut

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So of ALL the springs available for our car, ONLY the Eibachs are a progressive rate spring with a drop of 1.5" or less that won't hurt the struts?
When you say "designed to replace the OEM spring" and "designed as an oem spring replacement" it sounds like they are EXACTLY the same as the OEM springs. Which they're not. ALL the springs available for our car are "designed to replace the oem springs", except for the GC coil-overs which require actual changes to the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well they are better built than the stock ones, and as far as i know eibachs are the only ones that are oem replacement, all the others you'd need new struts after awhile.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just saying because the H&Rs are 1.4 front, 1.5 rear and the Rousch are (i think) about 1" front and back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the front well has much larger gap, you will want a spring that will take the front a little lower to even out whatever gap is there. the 1.4/1.5 would be nice though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, that's why i'm getting the H&Rs. I've typed the numbers backwards above, since I'm pretty sure the front gets dropped more with the H&Rs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.