New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 MTX 4 cylinder cougar, i am assuming the weght to be a little less then that of the V6's...

my questions are: are the Sususpension parts the same from V6 to I4?
same front struts and same rears as that of the V6?

i want to put on KYB's or Bat struts and Eibach springs...but the only listings i find say V6...is there a difference?

since i am doing the suspension...

What else should i be replacing?

i already did the control arms, and outer tie rods ends last spring...

i would think short of the struts and springs the only other thing i will really need is the stabilizer link bar do-hickey...
as well as new bearings for the front along with new seats and mounts?

thanx for your time and help guys.....

EDIT also wondering if these are the right struts? has anyone bought from this guy and is this a decent price for them?eBay Motors: KYB GR-2 SHOCKS/STRUTS SET 98-02 MERCERY COUGAR (item 200030404741 end time Nov-17-07 00:08:18 PST)

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Suspension is the same for the I4 and V6. When I got my V6, I transfered my suspension from the I4 to the V6 and it was exactly the same. You might want to get new upper strut mounts depending on how many miles are on the car. I'm at 103K and they are starting to make noise once in a while for the first time.

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys...

yeah mounts are on the list...though they arent making any noise...i might as well since it will all be opened up anyway...

there is 130,ooo kilometers on the car...suspension work has never been done short of what i listed....LOL i just realized i have owned my car for almost 6 years and only put 60,ooo kilometers on it..

·
5,315 Posts
Suspension is the same for the I4 and V6.
Yep.
I am assuming the weight to be a little less then that of the V6s...
Surprisingly small weight difference, since the 2.0L is cast iron, and the 2.5L is aluminum.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
i just did this exact same swap in my car. i put the kybs and eibachs in. while i was in there i pretty much redid everything, just as a fail-safe so i didn't have to rip it apart again if something went bad. i got:
-front bearings
-front strut mounts
-front retainers
-rear strut mounts(only for 01-02, but might be a good idea to replace anyways)
-rear spring seats(only for 01-02)
-rear retainers

all together it costs like $100 shipped from bill j at team ford. i'd also go to an autozone or something similar and get a set of the strut bellows (rubber boots) just in case the stock ones are torn and need to be replaced. i bought a whole set and turned out not to need them and returned them the next day for a full refund. again, it's better to have everything there just in case u need it. u don't want to tear into it to find out u need something and have to leave the car torn apart for a few days waiting on parts.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Surprisingly small weight difference, since the 2.0L is cast iron, and the 2.5L is aluminum.
On a similar note, I just checked my H&R's... I've had them on for 4+ months now and the rears have settled to just about the specified drop (1.5) however the fronts have barely settled an inch. Maybe this could this be a symptom of the lighter engine? They had part numbers of a V6 tour.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just did this exact same swap in my car. i put the kybs and eibachs in. while i was in there i pretty much redid everything, just as a fail-safe so i didn't have to rip it apart again if something went bad. i got:
-front bearings
-front strut mounts
-front retainers
-rear strut mounts(only for 01-02, but might be a good idea to replace anyways)
-rear spring seats(only for 01-02)
-rear retainers

all together it costs like $100 shipped from bill j at team ford. i'd also go to an autozone or something similar and get a set of the strut bellows (rubber boots) just in case the stock ones are torn and need to be replaced. i bought a whole set and turned out not to need them and returned them the next day for a full refund. again, it's better to have everything there just in case u need it. u don't want to tear into it to find out u need something and have to leave the car torn apart for a few days waiting on parts.
thank you...i will have to get in touch with bill jenkins theni guess..LOL

BTW how do you like the way the car handles and rides now?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.