New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Nope- 3.0L is your only open, which just increases the bore. Can't stroke an engine like the Duratec- It's too tight in there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
According to SHOshop they are coming out with one for the 3.0L!? They say it will be a 3.5L...

Not sure about the clearance you mentioned, but usually they notch the block to make clearance for the rods/rod bolts. I'm not sure how much room you have to work with in the 3.0L though.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Originally posted by: 02gsxr600
According to SHOshop they are coming out with one for the 3.0L!? They say it will be a 3.5L...

Not sure about the clearance you mentioned, but usually they notch the block to make clearance for the rods/rod bolts. I'm not sure how much room you have to work with in the 3.0L though.
I thought SHO Shop went out of business.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
and the 3.5 they mentioned was more or less a one-off

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
and they never made it anyways

besides a stroker kit by design revs slower and has a lower rev limit

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not true!

What determines a motor's RPM limit is a lot of different factors including Valve Springs, Cams, Rod strength, Piston wrist pin strength, and MOST IMPORTANTLY rod to stroke ratio.

The ratio is a measurement of the rod length to the amount of stroke. You see, if you have a very long stroke, you must lengthen the rods. Think very hard about the motor turning and the way the crank, rods, and pistons move with eachother. True, If you add a stroker kit with shortened rod's you will lose some RPM reliability. However, if you lengthen the rods on the "up" stroke there is less of an angle on the rod vs a smaller rod. Therfore you have far less side loading, less stress on the crank, and a longer dwell time (the amount of time a piston sits at TDC or BTC before moving again) which makes more power because it gives the fuel more time to create energy and pressure before forcing the piston back down.

How do you make a longer rod you ask? It would push the piston into the head... right? Wrong! If you have someone like Ross or JE make your pistons for you, they can move the piston's wrist pin up higher into the crown of the piston. This can sometimes move slightly into the oil ring, but will gain you a ton of reliability, higher rpm's, and more power!

So, if you have some kind of theory behind your statement that stroking a motor is only for lower rpms, please feel free to share.

BTW, my friend has a 383 (stroked chevy 350) that turns 9.5k rpm all day long!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

BTW, my friend has a 383 (stroked chevy 350) that turns 9.5k rpm all day long!
I was with ya right up to there. "All day" is a long time and 9500 is awfully fast for reciprocating motor.

--george

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tell NASCAR that, but I don't think they'll listen. Longer rods tend to reduce detonation and loosen breathing demands also, so more power out of the same heads, and more importantly, less bottom end loss with better flowing parts, in fact long rod motors tend to gain torque over a broad range with better airflow while short rod engines move the powerband up, up, and away. Reduced piston wear is always a plus, too. And running 11:1 compression on 87 octance, (oh yes).

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

Hello and welcome to the fact they put that on their site 3-4 years ago. :biggrin:

It's Vaporware.
It never existed nor did they even try to do it. Matter of fact the 3L engine they built died at the track not long after they built it. Funny how that news never made their website. It must have been the job of the same guy that did their customer service or lack there of.

SHOShop is no longer "technically" in business and hasn't been for a while. (check out their many BBB complaints!) Though it's not like they ever did much for their customer anyway except take their money and never ship their shoddy products. The company Vadim sold out to does sometimes respond to inquiries about their old product line from what I hear.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ok, the 383 did not spin all day - you're right, but I think you get what I mean.

As far as shoshop, I didn't know any of that. I just heard of them because my friend who has an SHO used to deal with them. Infact, I just visited their website for the first time about a week ago...

·
Registered
252 Posts
BTW, as far as info about stroking a motor and about using longer rod's, there is a VERY VERY GOOD reference at:

www.theoldone.com

This guy has an older '88-91 Civic (D15/D16 motor) with the 1.6L motor. He actually had Moldex make him a custom crank and DEstroke the motor to a 1.5L to achieve an even larger rod/stroke ratio and increased the rod length quite considerably. He designed an entirely new piston technology with a "swirl" design, so that when the piston moves it causes the air in the cylinder to swirl around and atomize the fuel better. He does the same to the combustion chambers, and reworks the ports so that there is a lift on one side and a dip on the other, also aiding in better atomization. He increases the quench area of the piston/head which forces the air/fuel mixture to the exhaust side which does something with the polarization and atomization of the fuel.

He was the leading engineer for NASCAR back in the BOSS 429 head days, and is pretty much the leader in engine building today. This is one of the SMARTEST people you will ever meet in your life. Anyone interested in learning a ton about designing/building motors should check out his website and read all of the archives. You will get more good info from his site, than most of the entire web put together.

So far he was able to run 27psi boost in the 1.5L with 11.2:1 compression... now here's the catch, this car is his daily driver, passes emmissions with flying colors, gets over 30MPG, and runs on 87 octane pump gas!! He is able to do this only because of his new piston/comb chamber/port design that atomizes the fuel so well that he doesn't have to worry about detonation! Check out his website, you'll be very impressed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.