New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a WingsWest rear valence from Crispy and I need to strip the paint off of it. I bought some spray on stuff from Autozone which doesn't work that well. My friends are trying to get me to use brake fluid but I don't want to damage the valence. Where can I find a better paint stripper? Also where can I find some good 3M double-sided tape?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
You don't need to strip it. If you already started then you are in for a mess.

All you'd need to do to repaint into is start block sanding it down with 180-320 grit paper to scuff the clear and sand out any chips that may have been in it..

There is no reason to strip the paint all the way off.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Brake fluid????? Good luck getting paint to stick to that.Resdue sucks, He is right about sanding it, but if you must strip it there is stuff made for fiderglass/ureathane stripping, check like with the Corvette restore compaines such as Mid America Corvettes.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew I shouldn't have used that stuff. I started off sanding it with 120 grit sandpaper, but that was taking too long so I used the stripper. I guess I will try to sand the rest off.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
all you gotta do is scotch-brite it. dulls the paint up and is all that is needed. if you wanted it really smooth i guess you couldve wet sanded. but sounds like your too late, enjoy :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:cry::cry::cry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts