New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you just love the snow were getting hit with?

I got a problem on the 401 this morning, I was doing about 80km when in 4th gear(mtx) and all of a sec everything started shaking like i blown a tire, i pulled over on the shoulder everything was fine. I continued back up to 80 and it was still shaking all the way up to about 110kms then it would stop. Anywhere between 80 and 110 the car shakes. I came home from work and everything is fine. there no loss of power when it happens it just hard to steer and losing steering going a 100km on the 401 is not something i need right now.

I'd like to know if anybody is having the same problems.
i'am hoping it was just snow or ice getting stuck in my rims making a wheel unbalanced.

thanks

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
sounds pretty severe for a wheel balancing problem, but is a definite possibility...
i would also check that your lug nuts are torqued down to spec...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish it was that, but now the car running smooth like nothing ever happened(thank god)

Is it actully possible for that new brime(liquid salt) they use on our roads getting into the motor and screwing up my motor.
Its a wired thought but it could be true

Anyways thanks for the replys

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Originally posted by: wild2crazy
I wish it was that, but now the car running smooth like nothing ever happened(thank god)
Sounds to me, because of the fact that it's fine now, that it's probably snow caught in your wheel wells. If your engine was some-how damaged by the salt, it should still be showing symptoms, one would think anyways.

Here in Newfoundland we use A TON of salt, not the liquid stuff, but tons of the plain salt. The salt melts the ice (*duh*) and dissolves... so one would also think that this would also cause 'damage to the engine' if the liquid salt causes damage. But I've never heard of that before here. Therefore, I don't think your engine has been damaged in any way.

Darrell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very good possibility... easiest check is pull into one of those "coin do-it-yourself" carwashes, and spray the bejezzes out of the underside/carriage. Best $2 you'll ever spend....

·
Registered
656 Posts
Does this happen when it's cold out after the car has been sitting for awile??
As you drive for a while, does the problem gradually go away???

If you answered yes to the above questions, I would suggest having your tires looked at, you may have a problem.

Performance tires, such as the ones found on our Cougars, have a tendancy to form a flat spot after the vehicle has been sitting for extended periods of time in cold conditions, (overnight, etc.). When they get their first drive after this period, it takes a bit of time for the tire to warm up, and the flat spot to go away.

Thank nylon for this.

·
Registered
220 Posts
mine also shakes, it shook last year as well, too much snow build up...wash the ***** and u'll be good

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everybodys help

I wash the car again today and the problem has not came back my girlfriend had the exact same thing happen to her new protege 5

i guess it was the best 2 bucks i've spent,normally it goes the other way like 200 dollars or something.

thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts