New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was noticing something while at the dragstrip last Saturday. Sometimes (but not all the time), I would experience some dips in power between 5500-6500 rpm, in second and third gear. It would happen once or twice through each gear, like I'm losing 10hp, then gaining it back, then losing it again, etc.

Any thoughts as to what might cause this? Spark plugs? Dirty fuel filter?

G

·
same thing just started happening to me, its been doing this for a couple of weeks now.

Also if I am on the highway going ~70mph in 5th it will do it again. I was thinking it could be my clutch that is starting to slip but I realy don't know.
I hope its not the clutch and its something that can be fixed with my warrenty.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt it's the clutch. Tons of people here drive their cars hard regularly. I never hear about toasted clutches, unless these people just aren't talking about it when it happens.

I was expecting, "Were you racing with your A/C turned on?"..........umm...NO

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
riccihull - I'm not sure about the warranty right now. The car is at 36.5k, but it is still under lease until 11/02.

Last tune-up that was done on my last car, the plugs were changed but not the wires. When I applied the heavy foot, the car sputtered like crap. So, I took it back in, and it turned out the plug wires were original (this was at 120,000 miles)!!! BTW, it wasn't my neglegence, I bought the car thouroughly used.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the problem is well after 5k rpm, and I ran consistent 15.9s, so the secondaries are at least opening. Is it possible for them to 'partially' malfunction?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
sounds like ignition to me... even if you got the plugs changed they may not be getting proper spark... possibly a lose spark plug boot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.