New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read almost every post on the moosing problem so many of us have faced and while I would like to think this is the cause of my problem, I'm beginning to doubt.

Often when I start my car I hear a loud high pitch whine. Ever hear a car which is extremely low on power steering fluid make a hard turn? That sound is exactly what I hear. But alas my fluid levels are fine and the car is parked in neutral (MTX) with the wheels straight. Under the hood and the sound is definitely coming from the passenger side near the PS pump, alternator, and all that stuff.

Has anyone else noticed this? It is not the low droning fog horn sounding noise that most people describe as moosing. I think I'm loosing my alternator (other symptoms including dimming lights, battery light on occasionally) could it be causing this noise?

·
Registered
674 Posts
tighten your belts

your battery light is fron alternator, and dimming lights because it's a ford....there's a fix for that around here somewhere

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,718 Posts
Sure sounds like a perfect description of moosing to me.

There is a PERFECT video, WITH SOUND, of a Cougar moosing. 3.1 megs, located here:

http://bigmek2.de/CMGP_MVI_2179.AVI

Compare and contrast.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would say it's your altenator because they generally give a high pitch sound, also check your belts. I don't think you have the 'mooseing' problem because I just replaced my idle air control valve because I had that problem and it's more of a horn sound that you can hear more on the drivers side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx guys. It appears the alternator is one problem. I broke down today right in front of a garage. I'm on my way to get the car now and move it to my own mechanic as this garage claims it will be 7-8hrs of labor to replace the alternator!! I know it is a tough one to replace but come on, what does this guy take me for. Will post an update later and let you know if this also solves the high pitch sound problem, which by the way is not moosing. As of my post last night the sound never once went away, so it ain't just cold starts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so after 2.5hrs we got the alternator out and discovered the case is cracked to pieces on it. Also found that the main power feed from the alternator had arced against the alternator case and burned through about half the wire!! Probably the initial cause of problem, but none the less thats some serious power loss.

So now my question is should I get a new alternator or a rebuilt one? I know people who swear by rebuilds and people who don't. How about for Cougars? I know we're famous for bad alternators so by getting a rebuild am I adding to my problems? My only concern is having to go through this whole situation again in 8mths time.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,718 Posts
Just don't get a Motorcraft alternator and you'll be fine.

I had my Motorcraft rebuilt, and it lasted 4 months.

I've had a Duralast since March with no issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've managed to get a rebuilt alternator and, with a great deal of effort, get it back on the car. Now I have another problem. Remember I told you a wire had arced out and nearly burned off? Well after getting the alternator back on, we discovered that it wasn't charging and the junction box where the positive feed goes to has a fuse in it which was blown by the arc (assuming). So now I have to go to Ford and buy a $60 cable to get that link cause no one else carries it. After that we somehow have to properly route that wire. Whoever designed the location and setup of the charge system in our Cougar's should be repeatedly beaten with a blunt object.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Done!! Total damages are $310 CDN. Everything appears to be fine now and the loud whining noise is gone as well. Price includes rebuilt alternator, new positive feed cable from alternator to starter to battery, and since my mechanic spent 8hrs of his time at this some money for him as well.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Originally posted by: badkat
Whoever designed the location and setup of the charge system in our Cougar's should be repeatedly beaten with a blunt object.
How about we just throw our old burnt out alternators at them? They'd get one hell of a beating, that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
hey i have that same noise fromt he video what is it????and how can i fix it

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I can hear whining noises from my alternator.. is this normal for the aftermarket ones that are available? Of is it possible that mine might be going bad? It sounds kind of like a supercharger lol

My cousins cougar does not do it and never did even before his alternator died.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Alternator never did whine when I first bought the Coug, but after taking my car to the DEALER for the light flickering problem they quoted me some $400.00 saying that replacement of the alternator would fix that problem. I almost had them do it until I told my friend who saved me $200.00 when we did the replacement ourselves. It turned out that the rebuilt alternator never fixed that dang light flickering problem and I ended up with an alternator that sounds like a Supercharger. Speaking of which, did Vortech fix there superchargers from that 80% failure rate?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts