New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 2002 Mercury Cougar, 2.5L V6, 184,643 miles. When accelerating, particularly above 2000 RPM, there is a strange clicking/pecking sound coming from the front end of the car and I absolutely can't figure it out. If the car is in park, you can goose it and it never makes the sound. If you jack it up to let the wheels spin freely then it doesn't make the sound. To be honest, to me, it sounds sorta like one of those toys you put on you bike as a kid that flicked in the spokes to simulate a motor sound? Anyway, here's a video where you can hear it. Please, if you can, help me resolve this.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Never heard that before. I would guess a bad CV axle at best, internal transmission damage at worst.

Inspect trans fluid. Look for metal flakes of gray sludge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never heard that before. I would guess a bad CV axle at best, internal transmission damage at worst.

Inspect trans fluid. Look for metal flakes of gray sludge.
Thank you so much for replying. I thought the CV Axle would make noise mostly when turning? This does it whenever it's under a load. I'll look into that first thing tomorrow. In the meantime, do you or anyone else have any other suggestions or ideas?

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
CV axles do primarily get noisy when turning. But strange things happen.

I had a failed axle that vibrated under load, in the same circumstances where yours makes noise. Steady state cruising, coasting, braking, all quiet. But when you get on the throttle it shook the whole car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CV axles do primarily get noisy when turning. But strange things happen.

I had a failed axle that vibrated under load, in the same circumstances where yours makes noise. Steady state cruising, coasting, braking, all quiet. But when you get on the throttle it shook the whole car.
Oh okay. I think I get it now. Now I just need to figure out which side has the defective CV axle.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Yeah theoretically. I mean, I’m still just guessing.

When I replaced mine, the bad axle showed no signs of any kind of problem.

I don’t know how you would even diagnose it without just throwing money at it.

·
8,504 Posts
Tough one to diagnose. It sounds like an exhaust leak, but for some reason it only happens under load. I couldn't tell from the video - does the rate of "firing" (since you used the machine gun analogy) change based on the speed of the engine, or the speed of the car?

Is this is an automatic? What happens if you shift into neutral while it's making the noise?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for all the replies. I'm not entirely sure that is what is wrong with it but It appears to be the best place to start. If it turns out to be the issue and I solve it I'll post the results here. Just have to wait for the part to arrive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
not trying to jack your thread, I’ve had the same problem for a bit and same noise, only under load as seen here:

I have located it to the belt area, or coil area. I’ve replaced the belt tensioner and it persists, and I even took the belt off and started it and it still does it.

Sometimes it goes away for a month then comes back. Hope someone finds this video helpful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts