New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my cougar used and at the time it had a nice JBL amp and a crappy dual pioneer 12" sealed sub box. As agreed upon with the person I borrowed money from to buy the car, I sold the amp and sub to help pay the car off. You may remember what my current audio setup is :biggrin::tongue::biggrin::tongue: but if you don't or do, I don't really care, know that my extra speakers take a single 1/4" hookup.

Here's the weird part. The speaker wires that originally went to the sub come from behind the stock head unit somewhere. I read that no stock cougar head unit has any extra outputs at all really so I'm wondering if the they used some sort of adapter and what that looks like. I have to replace the cable because the homemade composite adapter on the other end is causing a ton of hum even though it's not shorted out. So I'd like to know what the adapter looks like and what hookups it takes before I pull the head unit out. So what's the most likely connection there? I hope it's composite and not bare wire cuz I don't wanna destroy my awesome composite to 1/4" cord.

Also, all I can find through the searcher are posts mentioning how many posts there are telling how to take the stock head unit out. But I can't find one with any actual instructions. I know you use a coat hanger or those special tools or whatever to press those four things but then does it slide out all nice or do the wires not reach so I have to disassemble the entire dash and center console (like with my stupid Tracer)

And don't say buy a cheap new head unit with compsite outputs cuz I can't afford $100 right now. I'll do that down the road a bit.

·
8,582 Posts
They probably used a line level converter to get RCA connections. Is that what you mean? If so it'll be box with wires coming from the speaker wires at one end and RCA jacks at the other.

FYI line level converters are quite common in stock head unit situations where the owner wants a sub.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
the awnser is no the cougar does not have any extra outputs on back.

I myself have a line converter in my setup. you can buy them for around twenty bucks but expect them to sound terrible and pick up as much noise as possible unless you pay the big bucks for a nice one.
Scosche SLC4 Four-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com

i wanted to keep my car looking stock untill i could do my dash swap and place a pioneer d3 in place of the stock unit. so i spent the extra money and got a line converter. right now i have a full 02 dash in place and i am waiting to paint my car before i buy the D3

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why do they call them line outputs when they're not line level, they're powered sometimes up to 50w but usually like 10 on stock crap lol. Anyway the sub sounded great when it was on and some of the distortion happening now is low enough to have been heard in the sub and yet I didn't and that was with the same cable. Plus when I use a different adapter and headphones, it sounds great with no bad noise at all but it's super quiet. And when I use the original adapter, it's REALLY loud but that's probably because of the mini amp and there's tons of distortion that is VERY strangely the same volume regardless of how high or low the head unit volume is. But anyway don't hurt yourself trying to figure it out cuz I'm hopefully gonna swap the cable tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Im still trying to figure out what a german car has to do with your stereo and speakers.

·
8,582 Posts
why do they call them line outputs when they're not line level, they're powered sometimes up to 50w but usually like 10 on stock crap lol.
Those are "speaker level" outputs.

"Line level" outputs are usually only a couple volts and are intended to go into an amplifier.

A "Line level converter" takes speaker level and converts it to line level, at a cost of some fidelity (not a major issue with subs, though).

·
Administrator
15,568 Posts
Interesting that they would put the converter behind the head unit. I've never used one, but I thought people always just tapped into at the speaker location at the back of the car...would save running the longer RCA cables.

·
8,582 Posts
Interesting that they would put the converter behind the head unit. I've never used one, but I thought people always just tapped into at the speaker location at the back of the car...would save running the longer RCA cables.
I'm more surprised that there's room for it back there. It's also possible everything I said was wrong - his description wasn't very clear, so I may have misunderstood.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm more surprised that there's room for it back there. It's also possible everything I said was wrong - his description wasn't very clear, so I may have misunderstood.
there is quite a bit of room back there.

OOOo and desolator you were not by any chance in Missouri last night. I had a customer telling me about how he was a DJ and how he was ptting his computer speakers and subs in his car. It made me think of youl This is no lie either. Maybe for a DJ this is a common thing

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My line converter is right behind the unit i run it from both the speakers, left and right and it's easier to splice into those four wires right back there than to remove the rear panels and splice speaker wires and then run the speaker wire to a central location wher the line converter would be placed

·
Administrator
15,568 Posts
My line converter is right behind the unit i run it from both the speakers, left and right and it's easier to splice into those four wires right back there than to remove the rear panels and splice speaker wires and then run the speaker wire to a central location wher the line converter would be placed

Ok...was just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
also if you end up replacing the deck then the rca's are right there

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I have to replace the cable because the homemade composite adapter on the other end is causing a ton of hum even though it's not shorted out
I'm confused -- this sounds like either he a) has a line level converted installed someplace, or b) the idiot prior to him spliced into RCA's and hooked them direct to the headunit. (Yes, I've seen it done, and yes, it sounds like ass.)

I guess the best advice I can give is, open it up and take a look. If you have no idea what you're looking at, give us some pics and we'll describe.

E1

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those are "speaker level" outputs.

"Line level" outputs are usually only a couple volts and are intended to go into an amplifier.

A "Line level converter" takes speaker level and converts it to line level, at a cost of some fidelity (not a major issue with subs, though).
well why the hell would I want one of those? lol. I checked and yeah there's one branded "installedge.com" You know I think my one adapter is shot and shorted out but when I use my functional one it's so damn quiet that I can't use it even with my mini-amp that adds approximately 6x. It's about a 50 watt, 4 channel headphone miniamp. I think I'll remove it and use the other speaker level outputs. But I've got a little side question. Take a look at what this asshole (previous owner) did to this thing! Caution, if you have a weak constitution, you'll want to look away now lol.

Duct tape for God's sake! Not even electrical tape! The adhesive is all melted to hell and degraded from heat and cold. I gotta find the previous owner and have some words cuz he did so much **** to screw up this car, it's unbelievable! So my question is, when I want to get a real head unit installed, will I have to re-twist all those lines and match them up with an intact, unmodified adapter? Is that even possible or recommended?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
if ur really broke... line level....kinda broke new headunit.

based on ur setup "IMO" nothing is going to make it sound good. strip it down, start from scratch, and we'll help you have a great "CAR" audio system.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts