New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm storing my car for the winter and need to know if I'm missing anything. (and yes I used the search feaure first).

I'm storing the car on the stock rims in a dry, cement floor garage.
Cardboard will be under the car, there are NO mice in the garadge, so I'm not worried about that.
I'm leaving 1/4 tank of gas with winter fuel additive (1 small bottle)
I'm going to be starting it for 15 min once a month
I'm not removing the battery, but will be charging it

Anything I'm forgetting?

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. You might want to move the car out of the garage and then back in to rotate the tires a bit and stop them from becoming lopsided. Also get a car cover for it to keep the dust from collecting on it and to deter any scratches from when people walk by it.

On a side note anyone know:
Is it normal for a battery to die if the car has been sitting for a month without being started? My cougar's been stored since September and I didn't get a chance to start it last month and this month came around and the battery was dead enough not to set my alarm off. Its an optima yellow top.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
whoa, ok, so i seem to be a bit more hardcore :tongue:

i was told that it was a good idea to have an almost full tank of gas.... or does it even matter?
and i'll be starting the car everyday / other day - for 5 minutes, and changing the position of the tires once a week.

-heh, i'm unemployed for the winter... i've got time to baby the thing :)

edit- btw, i'd just like to say that is SUCKS ASS that we have to store our cougars away for the winter :(

G

·
when i store my car in the garage for a week or more I put it in nuetral and rock the car back and forth a couple times to combat flat spots...

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
its too bad we all can't have a dyno machine in the garage... just "drive" the car for a few minutes a day :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blackcoug....yeah, from all accounts it can be normal for the battery to die....hence charging. :)

Matt....yeah, a dyno would be nice

as for the tires and moving the car....I'm not too concerned...they are my stockies...that's what I kept them for :)

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
disconnect the battery.... your car is always running some electrical... leaving it in there will constantly put even the slightest drain on your battery... if this small drain exist, it will eventualy start eating away at the life of your battery when there is no charge left... most batteries can sustain going no charge, but few can handle a complete dead state... needing to redo the radio presets is a small price to pay...

oh and i have always been under the impression that a full tank was better... this way there is less air to condense in your tank when the temp goes up and down around freezing temp - like we commonly get in this area....

·
Registered
792 Posts
A couple things to mention here:

First I believe a full tank of gas is best, that will help prevent moisture build-up in the gas tank.

Second, starting you car everyday for 5 minutes is probably the worst thing you can do. You will never get the car up to temp and will risk fouling you spark plugs and building a lot of carbon deposits throughout your engine. Also, without getting the engine up to temp, you will continually fill your exhaust with moisture and lead to premature corrosion.

A properly stored car should be able to go the entire winter without being started.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts