New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arite I wanna paint my stock 99-00 rims black..I only put them on for the winter time and since my car is black I think itll be cool to have a nice "night rider." I was thinking i had to first get the rims clean and smooth then just do a couple of coats of black rim paint that I found at Pep-Boys, then just putting on a clear coat so i dont get any cracks or nothing. Is this all I have to do or do i have to do like priming or sanding and stuff??

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
follow the intstructions on the paint cans..but im sure it tells you to scuff the surface and/or primer it

i would scuff it with something like 300grit sandpaper. primer it. sand the primer with 400grit. paint it. sand it with 400 grit then 600 grit. then clear them. dont sand the clear unless you know how to wetsand really well. if you do i would say wetsand the clear with 400,600,800.

but read the paint can and it will give you specific instructions. remember as with all painting the most important part of a lasting finish is the prepwork. dont skimp on the prep and it will come out nice!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, I was kinda figuring I was gonna have to do a little sanding. I will post a pic on how they came out within the next 2 days. If they came out well and to my liking I will post a "how-To" on how to mod your stock rims. Thanks for your help Funkboy316!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arite I did they rims...they came out nice and made the cougar look even more meaner then it has this whole winter season. Soon enough the kit and spoilar and neons and all my other mods will be attached to it but for now I'd have to say I got a sweet looking car. Thanks again for your help Funkboy316! Ill try and post pics tonight!

·
Registered
421 Posts
any pics?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know that link doesnt work for the rims..i need a little help on how to get them on here..please help!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
hehe you cant link you computer to the page...

click reply...
click attachfile...
click browse..(at teh top)
find your file on your computer..click ok or open...
then click upload file..(on the top right)
the file should then appear in the window below...
then click the file and click attach...
and your done

if you want after you post it..
left click on the attachment
then copy shortcut
then click edit
in the edit window click the 'insert picture icon'
left click paste it
then click edit post
and now your pic will be inlined..

if you host the pic on another web page all you have to do is copy the shortcut for the pic and then repeat the last set of steps for inlining it..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heres the pic of my cougar and its modded rims. It def. came out well. Just like Night and Day...Sry for the delay

·
Registered
421 Posts
shweeeeeet. nice job man!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys, Iv gotten a lot of complaments on them and since i couldnt stand driving around in the Cougar while it looked to stock and i cant have any of my mods on due to they make my car lower and with all the snow this year my front visteon lip was already ripped off so i guess just a new look for the car for the winter will do just fine ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks they are pretty good looking for the winter, And as for the windows, all of them are tinted but lightly except for the rear driver side window cause while my car was at ford sitting in the parking lot for a week and not moved at all, someone mysteriously smashed my window while it was sitting in front of the garage that no one noticed or heard, so they bought me a new one, Which is Ironic since the sign inside the building says, "We are not responsible for any damage done to any vehicles in the parking perimeter." So Im thinking they did it but oh well Itll all come back together soon

·
Administrator
15,616 Posts
They look great!

When I used to be a VW and Audi freak, I would always put on a set of black steel wheels with Blizzaks in the wintertime...something about that just says get the [censored] outta my way...lol...

btw, if that paint doesn't last too long and you want something a little bit better, have them powdercoated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yah it def. gives the car sucha meaner look, and gets it away from that stock feeling. YES i want to powder coat them but moneys rolling in a lil slow right now and if i cant get my 2 rims fixed buy the spring ima just powder coat them instead. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
where did the pics go??

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by: crazyoldcougar
where did the pics go??
Oh wow lol where did the pics go??
H/o Ima post them again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.