New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on the Focus forums for a while and they talk about how good the handling on the ZX3 is. They say it can do .87g on stock 15s and get over .9g with just good tires. My dad even bought one based on it's handling.

I know it's lighter than our car but I've read that our cars have similar suspension setups. The Focus does ride softer than my Cougar. Even before I put my Roush springs the ride was harsher than the Focus.

Anybody know the specs on this?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Is that focus full 4 discs??? the cougars with 15's have drums and don't stop as fast... the all disc brakes stop VERY well...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front disk, rear drums.

I'm not talking about stopping power. The skid pad is a mark of how well the car handles and how many gee's it pull going around a circle or something.

The Focus is also lighter than our cars. The turbo'd Focus RS can beat, stock for stock, a WRX around a racetrack because it handles great and is lighter.

So if you got a 200whp Focus and a 200whp Cougar with stock suspensions, and you got them going around a track or AutoX course...which would win?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I own a Focus TDCi (115 bhp diesel engine) and it handles *MUCH* better than my father's Mondeo TDCi 130 cv.
or my 99 Cougar V6. Suspension is stock on all of them, but "body cage" is way better in the Focus.

You can go really fast on twisties with the small Ford (faster than any other european compact segment car
like Renault Megane or Volkswagen Golf for sure).

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think it was R&T or Motor Trend did a report on the Cougar Eliminator. Now granted it was a concept car and I do not recall the specific suspension setup it had, but they were able to pull somewhere in the neighborhood of .9...something.. g's. I do not remember if it was .90, or maybe .93....I have no idea but I am certain they did break the .9 barrier. You might be able to go to one of their websites and try to find the old story. That's all the help I got

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
if i'm not mistaken the cougar does .84 (or .86) stock.... the elminator was riding on lowered springs and had the st-200 rear strut bar in place... prolly had larger rear sway bar too.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Road and Track article that is scanned on newcougar.org lists .84g

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Originally posted by: Seawulf

So if you got a 200whp Focus and a 200whp Cougar with stock suspensions, and you got them going around a track or AutoX course...which would win?
Focus, hands down... lighter = ability to brake later / exit turns + accelerate quicker

·
Registered
674 Posts
I pulled .88 on stock suspension and tires.....the struts/springs had 90k miles on em. I could now definetly do better but my G-tec is elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts